Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #31 
chippy

I need to get Rupert's water warm enough for when I change his water because room temperature in my house is too cold. Can I microwave his water or something? I have the gallon tank, so we're talking about 1 quart of water. Any suggestions.
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #32 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy View Post
I need to get Rupert's water warm enough for when I change his water because room temperature in my house is too cold. Can I microwave his water or something? I have the gallon tank, so we're talking about 1 quart of water. Any suggestions.

When I used to have a full blown aquarium, I would just add a tiny bit at a time over a period of about two hours so the heater would have time to catch up with the new water and even if it didn't, the amount that I added would have been too little to change the temperature of the whole aquarium.

Do you not have warm or hot water on tap? We had softened/conditioned water in our water heater at my parents house, so this wasn't an option for me, but it might be for you.

And also, microwaving and or warming it on the stove top would be fine. Of course make sure it's not too hot, though. Also make sure that whatever you are warming the water up in is very clean and has no soap residue. Fish can be incredibly sensitve (though Bettas seemingly aren't so bad as many others)
And adding it slowly or increments is never a bad idea either way. :)
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd say just get warm water out of the tap.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #34 
chippy

I thought I wasn't supposed to use plain tap water. I bought some ziploc containers to use specifically for his water so it can be microwaved and has never been washed with soap. I use tap water and add water conditioner, then let that sit overnight.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #35 
Chicklet

It's always an added benefit to let the water set if at all possible.
But you don't have too, especially in an emergency type situation.
I have so many tanks that when water changes are needed It's in very large amounts,
and there ain't no way I can let it all set,
Many of mine get it straight from the tap, Conditioner added, temp checked then poured in their tanks,
I don't recommend the microwave at all, Use hot water and cold from your tap to get it just the temp needed, or warm it on the stove.

I have in dangerously low temp before (50,f), Taken the fish out (betta), replaced all his water with new water that was a temp of 78 - 80 then put the fish straight in it, This is not something that should be done often especially to the same fish, as it is very hard on them, But in an emergency,

I haven't read all your posts so I may be missing parts, But you need to get a heater ASAP.
Betta's are tough little nuts, But even they can only take so much abuse...

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-16-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use tap water and put conditioner (dechlorinator) in it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #37 
chippy

Chicklet,
I do have a heater and it keeps the water at 74. It is not adjustable; this weekend I will have to see if I can find something better. He may also be getting a bigger tank :)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #38 
Chicklet

Quote:
Chicklet,
I do have a heater and it keeps the water at 74. It is not adjustable; this weekend I will have to see if I can find something better. He may also be getting a bigger tank :)
ok, :)

Elevating the tank to higher levels in your home will effect the temp, I purposely tested this the other day. using the small preset heaters.

I put up a shelf in one of the colder bedrooms,
Then placed several tanks on different shelves,.
Tanks that are nearer the floor are 74 degrees,
The shelf above is 76, and the top shelves are 78, some 80.
So location does play a key role in the heaters ability to cope..
Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is interesting info. Mine were moved to a higher spot a couple months ago so hopefully it will help keep them a little warmer.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #40 
Chicklet

I probably should have mentioned, The room I tested that in stays at a temp of 66 to 70 degrees F, measured at eye level,

So lower would be colder I presume and that's how the heaters faired under those conditions.