Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #11 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namialus View Post
Another filter benefit: Gets rid of any cloudiness. :D
The cloudiness was just because I had disturbed the substrate while planting. It actually clears up pretty quickly.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

You're NPT is doing pretty good... Hope you have a test kit? The levels will rise pretty quickly, due to so many nutrients in the water. Prepare for algae blooms. BUT, I suppose the plants will cover that, if they're quick enough.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #13 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You're NPT is doing pretty good... Hope you have a test kit? The levels will rise pretty quickly, due to so many nutrients in the water. Prepare for algae blooms. BUT, I suppose the plants will cover that, if they're quick enough.
If you're just talking about an API Liquid test kit, I do. If there is a special kit for NPT I do not, and I'll need to get that.

The Hornwort is growing like crazy. It was about 3" yesterday when I put it into the tank. It's probably up to 6" or 7". I'm super psyched about that.

This "melting" thing that people talk about... my Anacharis has leaves turning light brown and falling off, is that "melting"? It was in a heated tank at PetCo, so I assume it's already been acclimated. I've had Anacharis in the past, but never with much luck. My snails always ate it up very quickly.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Your anarachis.. I honestly don't know. But what I do know from a few members is that it'll always grow back in a few weeks time. Of course, if it is melting. Yours should be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu

Another reason for a filter is RCS need some current.

I like your tank...a lot!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Another reason for a filter is RCS need some current.

I like your tank...a lot!
Good to know, then I guess it's settled. I shall add a filter.

Thanks. It looks better when the water is settled (you can see the Wisteria and Moneywort better). I'm thinking I'll pick up another couple Wisteria and Anubis. I think a couple more stem plants will look nice. I can't wait for the swords to start growing and filling in the "sword forest".
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Grrr... What am I doing wrong!!!

I finished adding plants to my tank last night. The total stands at:

5 Amazon Swords
6 South American Swords
5 Bunches of Anacharis (that was an accident, I didn't want that many)
3 Wisteria
1 Bunch (not really sure how to describe it but it came in a PetCo pack) of Moneywort
2 Strands of Hornwort (that are growing like mad)
2 Anubis
1 Marimo Moss Ball
1 Java Fern
Duckweed

I figured that was enough to have a successful silent cycle. I am using Seachem Flourite for the substrate and I used Seachem Flourish once yesterday. I mixed it into the water. I did pick up some API Root Tabs as well (should I add them to the tank now too).

I decided to add a few ghost shrimp after all, to test the water. I planned to take them out and give them to my boyfriends brother because he wanted some ghosties for his tank when I ordered my RCS. I did not have my API test kit with me (this tank is at my boyfriends house), but I plan on taking it over tonight. Before adding the shrimp I did a small water change (it only had 9 g in it, so I took out about 1 g, and added about 9 more. I acclimated the shrimp over about an hour (I know kinda rushed). I used Stress Coat as a water conditioner. The first shrimp died as soon as it hit the water. There is another dead one this morning. There is still one that is alive, but I'm guessing he'll die soon too. I've had bad luck with ghosties, but never have I had them all die this quickly.

Obviously, once I test the water I'll know more, but do I not have enough plants for a silent cycle in a 20 g? How many more do I need? All the plants but the Java Fern look good, and a few look great (two of the Amazon Swords look perfect, and the Hornwort is growing very quickly). The Java Fern looks pathetic (black all over some leaves), but I think it's looking better. I couldn't see the black when I purchased it, it looked really good in the plastic tube. I hate those plastic tubes, but that's about all we have around here for certain plants.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #18 
10asartin

Ghost shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter changes. Everytime I have purchased some from my LFS at least a few of them die within 1 day even with acclimation to the new tank. I don't think you are doing anything wrong that is just something that commonly happens.
I would go ahead and add the root tabs because that will encourage your heave root feeders to begin anchoring down.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #19 
NeptunesMom

Should I leave the dead shrimp in the water? Or should I take them out? I wasn't sure if I should leave them in, because if the silent cycle doesn't work I'll need to do a regular cycle and I know people use dead shrimp to cycle.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #20 
NeptunesMom

I know nothing more. I took my kit, but left before I tested the parameters (the boyfriend was being.. annoying about me canceling our dinner plans because I wanted to get to sleep early because I have to fly unexpectedly to Minnesota for a funeral tomorrow). But, I did find three ghosties that are alive. Woo hoo. I didn't realize I had that many :-/