Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #1 
stlovefamily

Feeling like a bad mommy to my fish

So I'm fairly new to bettas, this is my second. My first lived 4 years so I guess I did something right. I have a 2.5 gallon critter tank, no filter, no light, I use spring water in his tank, and have only 1 plant w. gravel.

I was looking at the set up thread and really felt bad. I want a happy fish so what do you suggest for a change.

I really don't have room for anything larger than 5 gallons and prefer to keep my 2.5 gallon if possible since i would rather not filter. I keep reading that he needs at lest 3 gallons though. I'm off to PetSmart tonight to hook him up, but need to know what you think I should get?

On my list is...

1. Thermometer
2. 1 more plant
3. A cave decor

I seen soome pics with a PH sticker on the side of the tank. Do I need one?

Help me out
stlovefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 2.5 gallon is just fine for a betta. A filter is nice to have but not necessary. It helps to keep the water cleaner. I don't have filters in my 1 gallon tanks or my 4 gallon tank and my fish do just fine. You do have to changer water more frequently, though. A thermometer is good to keep track of the temp, a plant will be nice, preferrably a silk one and a cave to hide in would be good, too. I have no idea what a ph sticker is.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #3 
Nataku

You don't need to constantly monitor pH on a betta, they are fairly hardy in regards to pH, and you are probably best off not trying to change the pH, as that can often cause more harm than good.

A 2.5 gallon is fine for a betta, although it never hurts to get a bigger tank, just don't go smaller. Of all the things you list, I'd say the most important thing you are missing, and should definately be getting, is a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and like warm water. While the thermometer will help you monitor the temperature, it won't do anything to change it. Pick up a heater for you tank and your betta will be much more active. They prefer water in the 78-82 range. A 25 or 50 watt heater will work for either size tank. If you only get one thing for your tank, get a heater please.

After that I'd say a light, if the betta isn't already kept in a room which has a light on all day.
Plants and caves and any sort of decoration is always fun, and gives the betta something to explore and interact with. Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges on the decorations so the betta can't cut their fins on it.
A filter is not really neccessary, and can often be just as much of a pain as it is any good. I'd say that should be one of the last things on your list to worry about.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #4 
stlovefamily

Thanks!

I went to PetSmart lastnight and got Victory another Plant, Castle, and Thermometer.The temp is in the green and seems to be around low 70s? He is very active though and really loved his new stuff, esp. the castle. He hides in it alot I put up a light near his tank as well. I was hoping it would be enough to warm his water some, but it hasn't.

I will go back and look for a heater today

A few pics..

stlovefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice tank! I like the cave/castle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote