Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #1 
colleen1414

Exclamation Feeding my fish...Confused

Ok as I said before I just got a betta. My friend told me that the pet store guy said to feed them 2 food pellets every other day. But everything else I can find says to feed them 3 pellets everyday.. The pet store guy said one time they had a bunch of bettas at the pet store and they fed them everyday and they all died.. when should i feed him? www.jackspets.com is the pet store im reffering to.

My Fish
Hyun-Ki (yellow white blue double veil..didnt know the abbreviation for that)

colleen1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #2 
Adastra

It can depend on the situation, but in optimal conditions you should be feeding your fish two pellets in the morning, two in the evening or three pellets once a day. The idea that bettas should be fed less since they're in small containers goes along with the old school belief that you can extend the duration of time the fish goes without a water change. While this is true to some extent, it's not a good way for a fish to live. Nothing removes the need for frequent water changes.

Remember to soak any dry food that you feed to the fish in a little bit of tank water before feedings. Otherwise the pellet will absorb moisture and expand in the fish's stomach, causing bloating and discomfort.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen1414 View Post
Ok as I said before I just got a betta. My friend told me that the pet store guy said to feed them 2 food pellets every other day. But everything else I can find says to feed them 3 pellets everyday.. The pet store guy said one time they had a bunch of bettas at the pet store and they fed them everyday and they all died.. when should i feed him? www.jackspets.com is the pet store im reffering to.

My Fish
Hyun-Ki (yellow white blue double veil..didnt know the abbreviation for that)

Did they tell you how often they changed their water?
Most petstores don't keep up with water changes and if you're feeding a betta that's in a tiny cup everyday the ammonia levels in the water would be horrible and will definitely kill the fish.
As long as you keep the water clean, you can feed your fish everyday.
Some people go for 2 or 3 times a day, some with once a day and others don't feed one day a week.
Personally, I feed my fish once a day because of my schedule. Sometimes I have a bit more time in the mornings and they'll get one pellet or two. Then Ill feed in the afternoon again. They seem happy and I haven't had any problems so far. My fish eat everyday.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

*Wow funny*) My Jet was doing something behind the heater, just jumping up and down repeatedly making the tank water move hehe he's a dweeb I love him.

Anyways I would suggest to feed him every day, two pellets soaked in a bit of tank water for 10 or so minute`s so they soften and absorb water and expand instead of expanding in ur fishy`s tummy.

Feed him also a variety of food, like pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, betta flakes..ect. their carnivore so pretty much all meat products.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #5 
colleen1414

Thanks! I will buy some brine shrimp for him. And, no, they didn't tell me how often they changed their water. I think I will feed him everyday. Thanks again!
colleen1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #6 
Sarada

I feed mine 2 pellets per day.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote