Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 
Kiara1125

Oh wow ... well, I keep mine single in a 10g. If I buy anymore, they just get sick due to stress and they die. I kept a pair for a year, but that was it. The other lived for another half a year and died.

Anyways, Russell, you're right. They actually have the moss balls at petsmart, but they're about $7 for a tiny thing. :S
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #12 
DJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Oh wow ... well, I keep mine single in a 10g. If I buy anymore, they just get sick due to stress and they die. I kept a pair for a year, but that was it. The other lived for another half a year and died.

Anyways, Russell, you're right. They actually have the moss balls at petsmart, but they're about $7 for a tiny thing. :S
Haha yea I know the moss balls are expensive but hey do help with the algae and they also absorb some bad stuff in the water. I got one and loved it since! Also they grow quite a bit if kept properly so it won't be a tiny thing forever. I would invest in one
DJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #13 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Don't some people put Marimo moss balls (which are actually algae) in the tank because they starve other algae? Or am I making that up?
You're not making it up, I've heard of that as well. It's said to take the nutrients in the tank for itself which limits the growth of other algae, what with the limited amount of nutrients.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Nothing wrong with algae, it keeps your water parameters perfect ;)

i would check the hardness of your water, when snails shut their doors and go on a hiatus, it could be possible that they hate your water. i had a perfect tank once. the fish thrived, but all the snails will just shut their doors, stop moving and die off. Im talking about "pest" snails. eventually after I added calcium to the water, the ones tht were stil alive decided to come back to life again....

you also mentioned that you bought baby tears. it most likely died due to lack of light. if ur Ludwigia is getting leggy then it is a sign that there is not enough light in the tank. I'm not sure about your lighting setup, but lack of light often kills plants , regardless of photo period. the dead plant then releases nutrients when they break down an become food for algae....

just some guestimates

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

In my experience, Dwarf Baby Tears are not forgiving plants and without CO2 and the proper lighting they go kaput.

Also, really soft water can be the death knell for snails and other inverts.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #16 
Kiara1125

It also depends on what the plant is used to. I put myrio green, bacopa caroliniana, rotala rotundifolia, java fern, a melon sword, and java moss in my 20gL. Everything died (except for the moss) due to too *much* light. I had that rotala in a 10g for two years and it took over half the tank, then it all died in a month. You really have to be careful with plants. I have ALL of my plants growing in my 10g right now. I'm honestly not even planning to put it in my 20. The only things in the 20 are the moss, and some new water sprite and hornwort. That tank now has NO light and the plants are growing fine.

Anyways, I had TERRIBLE BBA where I literally scrapped all my plants and got new stuff. It took a whole weekend for me to clean that tank how I wanted to, then it took me another week to put the plants on how I wanted them. I usually don't fertilize. But I have a homemade red clay fert with slow release capsules in it filled with osmocote. Hopefully it'll do well, yes?

Still, I do hope for the best with your tank! Try and buy some hardy plants that will grow nicely, such as a sword or crypt. I also like rotala, bacopa varieties, and cabomba.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #17 
Esahc

I've got one 13w daylight CFL in a jury-rigged desk lamp for my lighting solution. Depending on who I ask it's either mid or low-light?
My tank is a really obnoxious, bizarre shape that's impossible to find a hood for, and the light it came with was some teeny LED thing, so Desk lamp.
Since the algae bloom that started all this, I think my lugeria has stopped growing though :X hopefully between the ferts coming in tomorrow and the snail that so far seems to be much happier in the tank than the others, at least that and the wisteria will come back a little.
or even just my java moss :< I really liked the java moss.

RE: water hardness though. Could the adjustment period have been what killed them? The local water is super hard, but I think the LFS that I got my dead!snails from uses reverse-osmosis purified water for their tanks, which I really highly doubt petco does, and I certainly don't
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm, how big is your tank? i dont recommend fertilizers right now... especially if your plants are struggling to survive. but maybe try a bit of seachem excel. Sometimes it kills algae....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #19 
Esahc

It's a 5 gallon. I was using excel for a few weeks, but I didn't see much improvement, and with my schedule it's nearly impossible to remember to add it daily so I stopped. (also only have the one pipette which is really annoying when I have like four things that all need one. I need to fix that one of these days)
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #20 
Kiara1125

That's definitely too much light. lol I was using two 9w CFLs on a 20gL and I got BAD algae. I would definitely lower it. They have 7w T12 lights at Menard's for $3. Sound good?