Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

15w for a 5 gallon isnt too bad. I have a 23w on my 1 gallon :P

there's likely a dis balance in water chemistry that's causing the algae... I would add more floating plants if possible....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #22 
Esahc

It's gotta be something that fits a standard lightbulb socket though, unless I want to go searching for a whole new fixture again :/ I really wish I'd just gotten like, a normal shaped tank instead of this corner-oriented illegitimate offspring of a trapezoid and a bowfront monstrosity.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #23 
Kiara1125

Oh, well I guess it varies and depends on the tank, huh? You could go with some duckweed or amazon frogbit.

Also, do you mean you're looking for the screw in bulbs? I only have those and there are actually screw to pin adapters for $4 on amazon. But, there's different types so I wouldn't suggest that. lol
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #24 
Viva

Marimo moss ball sounds like a good idea. I had a small case of green algae that took over the surface of the water in my 5.5 gallon and so I added in an aeration stone to move the surface around a bit and disturb it. It didn't grow there ever again. I also had a Fluval compact fluorescent light over it which I think is 13w or something.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #25 
Esahc

OKay Update.
The new snail I got from petsmart was really energetic and active, far more active than the two blue mysteries that I got from my LFS, and I was hoping that it'd survive, but now it's hiding in its shell, hasn't moved for a few days and is producing stress slime. I'm hoping it's not quite dead yet, but I don't know why it's stressed.
Water params are still fine, I've added a couple of ghost shrimp in the hopes that my betta would chase those instead of trying to nip bits off the snail, and I put a root tab in to help the plants but those are the only two things that have changed. Tank temp is still stable at 75F, water is hard but the same water that has been in the tank all along. I'm baffled, the petsmart fish lady is baffled (to be fair, that's not hard) and the guys at the LFS are all baffled as well. I think I've eliminated a poor supply, and I think I've eliminated shock from the transfer (the last two were drip acclimated for extra paranoia) I don't know what to try next short of completely breaking down the tank and replanting it, which I really really don't have time or money for >.<
I just feel really bad for this last snail. It seemed so active and healthy.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #26 
Viva

Do you add any fertilizers to the tank? Copper can be very toxic to snails. I'm really at a loss for what could be happening to your poor snails :(
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #27 
Esahc

Just a root tab (seachem flourish) that I added recently, after the first two. Everything I read said that it should be fine with the snails. Even that though I only added after the first two died.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #28 
Esahc

[Maybe] Update?: The snail's still alive, but its shell looks very thin around the rim with a wide band of transparent shell. I'd say it's new growth if it didn't look like waaay too wide a band. Can a snail lose mass in its shell?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

yes, if your water is too soft or acidic. it generally shows up as crater like spots in the shell... it's called pitting...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #30 
Viva

I have Flourish root tabs in both tanks and all my snails are doing fine which include assassins snails, pond snails (used to have until the assassins ate them all), ramshorns (used to have until the assassins ate them all, trumpet and nerites. I've heard copper can be very toxic to snails but there isn't much in the root tabs (there might not be any, I can't remember). Any fish medications are toxic too.