Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #1 
Deanna01

Pairs arriving

I have several pairs (or mates for fish I already have) arriving next week! I am incredibly excited and need help deciding which to breed first. I'll list each pair in a separate comment...

First is a "super green" pair. (The female is the one I tried to mate with Courtland, who tore him up so badly. I think a plakat boy will keep her in line.

Someone had mentioned at the time I bid on the male that I should be able to get show-worthy fish out of this pair. Now only if there were any shows near me!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #2 
Deanna01

Next I have a chocolate girl I would like to breed with a pineapple boy. (Banlean is also sending me a sibling female for the pineapple boy that I let them choose, but I haven't seen her yet.) Myates told me this male would be a good match for the girl.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #3 
Deanna01

I'm very excited about this sibling fancy dragon pair, simply because I think I will get a lot of variety in the spawn, and it will be fun to watch them grow.

The female is DTHM, and the male is HM.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #4 
Deanna01

And lastly I have a sibling koi pair coming. I actually have several other koi females I may consider mating him to, though, instead of her.

Attached Images

Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #5 
Deanna01

Other options for the koi male would be one of these two koi girls, or perhaps the fancy dragon (or would she be better with, say, the pineapple)?

Attached Images

Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

Gorgeous fish! PM me when you are selling.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You should work on what interests you most.

But as advice; I'd say work on the green/turquoise first because they are base colors - simple genetics. So you can concentrate more on form. Further, if you do a cross (PK x HM) you will need a few generations to reach your goal (needs more concentration).

Second option would be the koi siblings - simply because they are siblings and will . . . or should produce similar offspring

Last option would be the pineapple as they have more complex genetics - you will have to concentrate on both color and form at the same time. You will end up with a variety of colors and form thus would have to map your line carefully.

Good luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #8 
Deanna01

Thanks, Indjo! Where would the fancy dragon sibs fall? Also, I think the green girl is an HM rather than an HMPK, or she was advertised that way, anyway....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

OOPs, forgot . . . since they are siblings, they would go second or third.

Keep this in mind; the more basic the color, the easier the genetics. If you don't have specific goals on the pattern of fancies/koi, breeeding siblings should be less confusing. On the other hand complex colors like yellow, white, etc. which are recessive and made up of many genes combined specifically are harder to maintain. Breeding a pair of the same color may not give you the same color in offspring OR might be same color but different intensity.

Anothher thing I forgot, IMO your yellow girl (big picture - 4 rays) should go nicely with pineapple male (multiple rays).

Last edited by indjo; 07-17-2013 at 09:13 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #10 
Deanna01

Thank you, Indjo! I really appreciate the help. :)