Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #1 
TianTian

Question Ich/Fungus. Am I treating it right?

Well, Tian-Tian's ich came back, but I'm more concerned about the fungus. It just CLINGS to his head and drifts with him as he lazily swims along. I can't stand it! This was the same problem I had when I first brought him home last month. He's been doing GREAT since then... until now.

Name of Betta: Tian-Tian
Type: Green/blue/black/red male veil tail Betta
Tank size: 2.5 gal. (an upgrade from his 1.5!)
Fake or live plants: Fake, just one grassy-looking plant and silk, pink flowers, either plant on either side.
Current water temperature: 70 degrees F. (I'm going to get a heater to remedy this today; I KNOW that's far too cold for him!)
Current fish behavior: Playing with his reflection in the decorative marble stones on top of the gravel, hanging out at the top of the tank, resting at the bottom of the tank, swimming the length of the tank rapidly then stopping
Treatment: Betta Revive (Product description: http://uskoi.com/betta_revive.htm), Aquarium Salt, sunlight, 50% water change
History: I JUST moved him to a brand-new 2.5 gallon tank last night and I woke up to seeing him with the fungus/ich on his head this morning. I don't have a filter or heater, yet (but I will be getting one tonight... probably a Whisper filter). The new tank was cycled properly and water conditioner applied (BEFORE he was put in the new tank).

I put some aquarium salts in and added the Betta Revive this morning. I'm in the process of doing a water change right now, just to be on the safe side of things...

I gave him 100% water change yesterday in his old tank (due to a faulty filter not working properly). I don't know if that has anything to do with it... could it be that whatever parasites/bacteria that had been hiding in his old tank came when I put his old plants in his new tank?

Aside from getting the heater, is there anything else I can do?
Thanks, y'all!

Last edited by TianTian; 04-15-2009 at 09:43 AM.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #2 
Nataku

I'm not familiar with this 'betta revive' product, so can't say as that's any good or not. Maybe someone else will know more about it. In cases of ich I usually treat with "Quick Cure" and it has always done me well in helping to knock the ich off, besides, it's cheap, and that one little bottle will last forever. Careful, it will stain though, don't get any on your hands or clothes.

The fungus is likely proliferating because of the cold temperature, and the betta's immune system is having a difficult time doing anything about it because of the same cold temp. You already see that problem there, so the heater kicking the temp up to around 82-84 (I always like to bump up the heat on a sick betta's tank, it just seems to make things move faster, besides, ich can't stand higher temperatures, and dies off quicker that way) will probably help get rid of these problems too.

Bacteria colonize anything they can stick to, this includes plants and other such decorations. If you didn't give the plants a good scrub before putting them in the new tank, then yes, you probably did bring some microscopic critters over.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #3 
TianTian

Thanks, Nataku. The Betta Revive worked last time. I'm holding out for it this round...

Oh my gosh you're SO RIGHT. I didn't scrub down the darn plants at all! Dangit, I've learned my lesson.

Should I just leave them in and treat the whole tank, or take 'em out... what would be the best way of doing this...?

Gonna head out to the pet store around 5pm-ish and get that heater, once I get done with this awful paper I have to write for literature class tomorrow. (I love college; I hate writing papers.)

I think his old tank was able to better hold in heat since it was elevated from my desk. This tank isn't, so I put some towels underneath it last night. The temperature's risen to about 71.5 degrees, and holding steady, since then.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #4 
TianTian

Okay, I just put the new heater in the tank. It's a mini heater... hvdor I think is the brand...? Here's to hoping it will help get rid of that annoying ich! I'll keep doing the water changes to ensure he has a speedy recovery!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #5 
froglady

I think the idea of having it warm in the tank is a good idea. I keep my tank 81 most the time. and the fish havent developed any parisites yet. I hope they stay healthy.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #6 
TianTian

Thanks!
So this heater is heating up very slowly, apparently. I'm up 2 degrees in about almost an hour's time. I've set it up correctly... what gives? Should I give it a night?

Also, his belly looks a bit swollen. I think I'll fast him tonight and see how he looks in the morning (he's been getting a grand total of 3-4 pellets a day so far).

Tian-Tian, I'm really glad I didn't put you in just a stinkin' bowl, but this tank business for you is getting awfully ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have any experience with the mini heaters but I think they only heat up to around 76 degrees. They are preset. I'm sure you knew that from looking at the box. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #8 
TianTian

Haha, yep. The most it said on the box was a grand +5 degrees Fahrenheit... I just might go get my money back. Here comes 3rd trip to the pet store? (gosh, I hope not!)

After a while their staff might start to recognize me.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess that raises it 5 degrees from room temperature.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #10 
TianTian

Perhaps. *checks temperature now* Okay, it's up to 74 degrees Fahrenheit. A whole 4 degrees from 70! We're making progress!! :)

I guess I'll leave it be and check it in the morning.