Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 
mybettabuddy

The boys and their new homes :)

I stopped at a local private owned fish shop. I've used them for years, owner is one of the "good" store owners, cares for his fish well.
It took 30+ minutes to choose out the second Betta. There were two others that were hard to pass on, but Calypso was healthy with nice fins.
Surprisingly Buddy, who I got at a Pet Supplies Plus, living in a sad plastic butter container, has blossomed into quite a beautiful boy.
These vases were at a funeral home, I asked to have the pair, they are almost 2' tall. Sure enough they said "take them" so at this point I won't be getting anything else for them as these are so unique and the boys seemed to like swimming up and down; then into the different areas. I got them each 2 snails as well.
Attached Images

mybettabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

your bettas are very pretty!! I like the names you gave them!

I'm sorry to tell you but those homes aren't very good for them, and with two snails each your overstocked, snails poop alot! If you instist on keeping them in the vases then do plenty of water changes and add a heater, bettas need higher tempatures due to them being native to asia which is typically prety warm...
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Your boys are absolutely gorgeous, look at those fins! I'm particularly fond of Buddys coloration, I must say.

Though....I've gotta say, personally I'd advise rethinking the vases. As neat as they may look(which they do, they're very cool looking pieces), its also important to take into account functionality and whats best for the little living creatures that are now in your care. Though they're a little on the large side, its a lot of vertical swimming space....generally bettas prefer shallower, horizontal swimming space to stretch their fins and, being Labyrinth fish who breath from the surface, provide them with more surface area to breath.

Also, take into consideration the awkward shape; it may be very difficult to fit a proper heater in there. Bettas are tropical fish who need a stable temp of 78-82 degrees F and though it is summer and rather warm in most places, its still important to take into account the day-night temperature change and that water temperature is often a few degrees bellow room temp. Fluctuations in temp can be very stressful for bettas and frequent ones over time can seriously compromise you fish's immune system from the stress, so even if only to keep temperatures stable and constant a heater is a very good idea in the summer months and absolutely necessary without a doubt in the winter months of course.

And have you been able to figure out how much water those vases actually hold? They may be tall, but a good chuck of it, at least a third, looks like a base that doesn't hold any of the water....and the rest doesn't look like it holds too much, at least not in the pictures. Depending on the amount of water is in there, you may be stuck doing some pretty frequent water changes, which I can say from experience over time with heavy glass containers gets old pretty quick.

Another thing is the snails....most snails produce quite a bit of waste, and therefore toxic ammonia which is going to build up REALLY quick in a little vase. Really, snails aren't suited for small setups without filters and an established cycle to eat up all that ammonia they produce(with the one acceptation of small pond snails in smaller very heavily naturally planted tanks but thats a whole other ball game). Honestly unless you would like to plan on getting a pair of 10+ gallon setups going within the near future I would highly suggest taking the snails back else you'll end up with a big mess on your hands pretty quick.

If you're strapped for cash and aren't too keen to splurge in a pair of complete tank setups, which can get expensive, there are other cheaper options that, though may not be as unique and pretty, will be a lot more functional and suitable to the needs of the fish. I'd be more then happy to gather up some links for you and suggest some cheaper tank/decor alternatives if you'd like. :)

I'm sorry to kinda rain on the cool vase parade, I really am....but please do rethink them. They're very lovely, but are better suited for something like flowers then as a home for an active tropical fish I'm afraid. :(

Last edited by DragonFish; 07-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
mybettabuddy

Evening, I was poking around earlier looking at different sites and I have to agree about the vases. They each hold 5 lt. of water, which for one fish seemed good, but I was unaware of the snail issue. They measure 15" tall, not the 24" as noted before but the water is mostly vertical. I was thinking the height was equivalent to a rectangle tank but there isn't a lot of horizontal space :( The vase is open to the bottom, it's all water, no solid glass or base. Anyway the issue of warmth has to be addressed. Currently it's not a problem, but seasons change and the boys can't be cold. Time to move the snails out too.
I always had kept water aging, for small partial water change out every few days in past aquariums; it was easy on the fish and kept the quality of the water healthier.
I need to find one tank, large enough for both but divided with no visual so that they are not flaring all the time. I was under the impression Bettas preferred still water, how is that handled if there is a filter system?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #5 
RedCassette

A divided tank is a good idea--you don't really have to worry about the barrier being opaque. From my own experience I can tell you that they will quickly get used to seeing one another. They'll still flare on occasion but the stress factor dies down easily enough. A mesh divider is a good idea because it allows water to flow through to the whole tank.

I'd recommend a 10-gallon tank, divided in half. This gives each boy plenty of space, and should you decide to get a third, leaves room for another divided section. With a larger tank water changes are easier and less frequent, too.

Bettas dislike strong currents but do require a filter. I push a chunk of sponge into my filter where the water comes out; this keeps it from flowing out too quickly.

Oh, it's also a good idea to get a hood or a cover, because bettas can jump and it isn't uncommon for them to leap right out of the tank (or over dividers, in shared tanks). As a side note, it's important to condition your water, because tap water contains harmful chemicals for fish. Don't use bottled water though, as it does not contain the beneficial minerals your bettas need to stay healthy.

Last edited by RedCassette; 07-22-2013 at 12:47 AM.
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Glad to hear that you're rethinking the vases!! Your bettas will surely thank you for it in the long run. :)

Ah, the vases are even a little smaller then I thought...its a good thing you're seriously considering another option! Even for the single fish alone thats a pretty small space, especially being all vertical, long-term....generally 2.5 gallons/about 9-10 liters per fish is a good minimum long-term size to shoot for.
For the time being if you can't take back/rehome the snails/upgrade to something much larger within the next couple of days you'll want to start doing some rather frequent water changes since ammonia is going to start building up real quick in such a small space.....I'd say just go for a 100% every other day, possibly some quick 50% or so changes in between depending on how large these snails are. You'll want to really keep on top of the ammonia while they're in those vases so you don't end up with some serious issues before you get a chance to move them out.

And lets see, just to reiterate whats already been said...sorry if I get a tad repetitive, RedCassette gave some great and advice there...and to add a little more...

+1 about the divided 10 gallon/38 liter. You could go as small as 5 gallons/19 liters with a tank divided in half, but I'd say for a beginner a 10 gallon(split in half in this case)is a great place to start; theres quite a bit more room to learn and work with.
Check around local thrift stores and maybe some places online to see about cheaper used tanks. You can sometimes fine some fantastic deals on stuff lightly used. Also if you're somewhere in the United States, Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale at the moment I hear....meaning you could get a plain ol' 10 gallon for $10. Just some tank suggestions....

As for the divider itself, I agree about making your own craft mesh divider. I can promise that it will be far more stable and a LOT cheaper then anything you can find to buy pre-made.
Here is a great tutorial about how to make them: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
I do have to respectfully disagree about the opaqueness.....while that is true with many fish, that they will eventually get used to one another, it isn't with every betta. Some can get very, very upset and stressed over seeing their neighbor too much regardless of time spent next to them, even with a somewhat opaque divider of some sorts between them. It all depends on the fish, though personally I think its better safe then sorry.

Now, what I do with my dividers is follow the tutorial, but instead I use two sheets of craft mesh and double-up, then do a little more exact measuring and trimming to make it fit snugly without too much of a bend. This make the divider far more opaque, my boys hardly ever noticed each other, if they even did at all, from the very beginning with these types of dividers and it also makes them just that much more straight and stable.
Another great technique with the divider if you end up going with a 10+ gallon is to separate the two pieces of mesh in the back and stick your filter and heater in between. That way you have just a tad bit of space between each fish in case one gets super feisty and finds some small area he can squeeze over the divider(on top of the fact that they of course can't really see one another), it sort of naturally softens the water flow on both sides without having to actually baffle the filter(unless you end up with a very strong one), gives a little more even water flow/heat distribution, and you don't run the risk of fins getting shredded in the filter intake without having to bother baffling that as well. Its a pretty awesome way to do it, I wish I had set my own 10 gallon up that way.

Now! Just to go over baffling the filter in more detail in case you don't end up going that route....
Filter sponge is going to be your best friend in this case(its really great stuff....I'd even suggest tossing away your filter cartridge with the carbon in it and just stuffing your filter with filter sponge. Carbon is unnecessary, and the floss on the cartridges wears out really quick.....sponge will give you a lot more surface area for Beneficial Bacteria(I'll elaborate a little later) to grow and stick plus it won't break down).
For the filter intake to help prevent fins from getting caught and shredded, you can either take a little piece of sponge and stick it inside, or get something like this: http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server32....1280.1280.jpg to stick over it. For the outflow, like Red Cassette suggested, a nice square piece of filter sponge secured with a rubber band, some fishing line/cotton string, or a non-metal hair band over the outflow should do the trick there, though first baffle the intake and see what the water flow is like. Often once that is baffled the water flow slows significantly, IME.

Almost done, I promise!
Now, lets see....onto the matter of cycling!
If you're looking for something large enough to divide, you are going to want to filter and cycle this tank. While Betta fish themselves don't absolutely NEED a filter, a larger setup does require one if only to establish a cycle to help cut down on maintenance....a 100% water change in a 10 gallon is quite the pain, let me tell you.
Now, establishing a cycle is a bit of a process....not quite as simple as letting the tank run for a few days before adding anything like most pet stores will tell you. Now, so I don't go on and on and on with the explanation, here are some great threads to look over that will give you a bit of an insight on cycling and how it works, though do as much research as you can! Google can turn up some fantastic results on the subject as well.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

It sounds a little complicated at first, but it starts to make sense after a little while, I promise.

And lets see....besides all that, I think its just the thing about the aging water that I'd like to add on to. While aging you water does help a tad, really its not going to remove ALL the harmful nastiest in there I'm afraid. What you'll want is to pick up a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime. Prime basically removes just about anything potentially harmful in your water including heavy metals and, unlike most conditioners, it will lock and detoxify ammonia for 24-28 hours which is very helpful during a fish-in cycling process. Another great thing about Prime is that its fairly concentrated; just a couple drops treats a gallon(though it is safe at about 5 times the dosage I believe, so don't panic if you over-dose a little!), so you're going to buy less of it over time then other conditioners as well.

And....I do believe thats it for now! I hope I was able to help some.....it is morning here, and I'm still on my first cup of tea so I apologize if my wording is a little off....and please, feel free to ask ANY more questions that come to mind! Thats what we're here for. :)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #7 
mybettabuddy

DragonFish jesssan2442 RedCassette thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I've had many aquariums in the past so the basics are not new to me, but I've not had bettas. I still have an outdoor pond which the fish stay in all year round. Anyway the snails are out of each vase with a partial water change via tube suction to clean up the debris from the bottom tended too as well. I've always used water conditioners, but will look for the specific one, Seachem Prime. Otherwise I really like the dyi divider; it allows me to adapt a divider to what ever shape I end up with. I don't want the traditional rectangle tank; funds are not an issue, but I'm not looking to waste money nor end up with something which can't accommodate heat or filtration. So..... I have my work cut out for me.
While changing things over this evening I noticed Calypso is becoming much more colorful. He is starting to become iridescent, very coooooool :)
These stinkers are trying to get bloodworms for their only food IE: they wont' eat the tiny pellets, so I put some pellets in with the bloodworms. By feeding them a the worms manually they aren't leaving food all over the bottom and I'm getting the balanced betta food in there. They've already become begging puppies, walk by and they are next to the glass.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Ah, wonderful wonderful! Thats all great to hear! Sounds like you've got some good plans in mind already. :) Glad I could be of some help!
Good luck on your search for the right tank! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as uniquely shaped as those vases, but there are some very, very lovely and interesting setups out there, especially if you've got the funds! I bet you'll be able to find something you like. ;)

Oooo, a love it when they start to color up! Its probably one of my favorite things about bringing a betta home; seeing how the change after some time out of those horrible little cold cups.
By the way, another technique you can try when feeding instead so you don't have to break out the bloodworms all the time is soak the pellets in a little garlic juice to help entice their appetite. ;)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 
SerenaRena
Banned

Beautiful fish, i love the vases.
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote