Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #1 
onekatietwo

Bettas and Plastics

So after hearing so much about how plastics leach things into you're water...

Well, ok. This might be a really stupid question.

But I thought it would be cool to have an old, broken playstation 2 controller as an aquarium decoration. Of course i would first open it and remove and metal components which could probably rust and otherwise hurt the water (right?)
It seems like it would be safe, but then I thought the plastics might be bad too.

Do you guys have any insight into this issue? Do you think it would be ok to use a playstation2 controller as a decoration?
It might also float, but I figured I could put some rocks in it or something.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #2 
Tokyo

I'm sure it would be best NOT too unless you have it coated in something so It wont leech toxin into the water. I'm not to sure myself but that's my in-put. :S Hope that helps a bit.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #3 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo View Post
I'm sure it would be best NOT too unless you have it coated in something so It wont leech toxin into the water. I'm not to sure myself but that's my in-put. :S Hope that helps a bit.
Yeah. I guess that is kind of my initial thought too. And I don't think there is anything that I could coat it with so I might have to go with a more conventional ceramic decoration.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #4 
rockstar26

I wouldn't suggest it, thats just my personal thoughts....
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #5 
JingleAllTheWay

Hmm...I don't know. I really don't know what could leech off of it, but that's just my guess. Maybe if you soaked it for a while in hot water for a couple of days and see if the water changes or anything? It sounds like a really cool idea though.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #6 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleAllTheWay View Post
Hmm...I don't know. I really don't know what could leech off of it, but that's just my guess. Maybe if you soaked it for a while in hot water for a couple of days and see if the water changes or anything? It sounds like a really cool idea though.
hey, I didn't think of that. It's a really good idea. If the water smells plastic-y afterwards, I'll know that it might be a bad idea. Haha.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #7 
Nataku

Hmm, interesting thought. I don't play video games, so I'm not really familar with these things. Let me go procure some of these "playstation 2 controller" from the boys and see what they are.

....okay, back, now with several of these controllers (the boys seem upset at my procurement of these devices). There appears to be at least three different models of these things? As that is what I was able to take from them.
Soft plastics are much more likely to leech something dangerous to your fish than hard plastics, so if it's one of them controllers with the rubbery-grippy bits, then no, you'd need to strip those off in addition to guting the insides. Those toggles? There's two on each controller I have to examine, I assume this is a standard design feature? They have to go. The top bits where you place your fingers (okay correction, the boys say you put your thumbs on them) are a soft plastic and could leak something. Remove them. Actually the resultant holes may be big enough for a betta to swim through, that could be funny. And yes, every bit of that junk inside would have to be removed, including those springs in the battery casings, if you have one that takes batteries. If it's all just hard plastic, then it might work( one of these controllers has designs painted all over it, this one is definately not a candidate for placing in a tank, too much paint). Wash it down, and then soak it in water for a couple weeks (chenge the water every few days, observe for any odd smells, an 'oil-slick' looking film on the top of the water, or any leaking color. If you see any of that, it's a no-go, they've obviously used something in the manufacture that is water-soluable and may be toxic.

The buttons are what most concern me in terms of what would be left, the little symbols (a square, triangle, circle and X) are painted onto the buttons in some models, where on others they seem as though they are 'etched' in. Paint, unless you specificly know its non-toxic and safe for fish, is another no-no, as it can flake off and fish can eat it, or it can just leak bad stuff. You may have to remove the buttons too. Actually removing all these different buttons all over the controller may be a good idea, as it would give different holes for the betta to peaks its head through, or swim through in the case of some of the bigger buttons. The controller (once it's all emptied out inside) may be an interesting little 'cave' structure for him.

I wonder how easy it would be to pop these buttons out, buy the boys are threatening bodily harm if I take apart their controller, so I guess I better give them back now.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #8 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
Hmm, interesting thought. I don't play video games, so I'm not really familar with these things. Let me go procure some of these "playstation 2 controller" from the boys and see what they are.

....okay, back, now with several of these controllers (the boys seem upset at my procurement of these devices). There appears to be at least three different models of these things? As that is what I was able to take from them.
Soft plastics are much more likely to leech something dangerous to your fish than hard plastics, so if it's one of them controllers with the rubbery-grippy bits, then no, you'd need to strip those off in addition to guting the insides. Those toggles? There's two on each controller I have to examine, I assume this is a standard design feature? They have to go. The top bits where you place your fingers (okay correction, the boys say you put your thumbs on them) are a soft plastic and could leak something. Remove them. Actually the resultant holes may be big enough for a betta to swim through, that could be funny. And yes, every bit of that junk inside would have to be removed, including those springs in the battery casings, if you have one that takes batteries. If it's all just hard plastic, then it might work( one of these controllers has designs painted all over it, this one is definately not a candidate for placing in a tank, too much paint). Wash it down, and then soak it in water for a couple weeks (chenge the water every few days, observe for any odd smells, an 'oil-slick' looking film on the top of the water, or any leaking color. If you see any of that, it's a no-go, they've obviously used something in the manufacture that is water-soluable and may be toxic.

The buttons are what most concern me in terms of what would be left, the little symbols (a square, triangle, circle and X) are painted onto the buttons in some models, where on others they seem as though they are 'etched' in. Paint, unless you specificly know its non-toxic and safe for fish, is another no-no, as it can flake off and fish can eat it, or it can just leak bad stuff. You may have to remove the buttons too. Actually removing all these different buttons all over the controller may be a good idea, as it would give different holes for the betta to peaks its head through, or swim through in the case of some of the bigger buttons. The controller (once it's all emptied out inside) may be an interesting little 'cave' structure for him.

I wonder how easy it would be to pop these buttons out, buy the boys are threatening bodily harm if I take apart their controller, so I guess I better give them back now.
Ahaha. I think you need an award or something. Not only do you seemingly know as much (or maybe even more?) about Bettas as anybody else in the world, you do very thorough research (even at the risk of bodily harm. I know how those boys get.)

Thanks for looking it over and all of the warnings and suggestions. I've actually gotten quite attached to my little guy and I definitely wouldn't want to risk anything.

Mayve I'll start preparing the controller soon and hopefully it iwll be ready by my next major water change.
I kind of have a zen decor thing going on right now and the controller would defintiely mess with that so I'll have to wait until my next redecoration anyway.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #9 
Nataku

By and far, I do NOT know everything there is to know about bettas, not even close. I'm just a fan of the species. I still have much to learn. xD

Also another thought could be coating the controller in an aquarium safe epoxy or silicone sealant, but admittedly I don't know how easy it would be to manage to cover the entire controller with either - the boys were certainly not willing to let me take the screws off of the controllers to open it up and see just what would and would not be left once one was gutted. It's just as likely that a coating might not entirely cover all of the controller's surfaces, thus rendering your attempt pointless.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #10 
Kim

Just a thought- I don't think leaving it in a bucket of water and then seeing if it looks/smells ok to you would really guarantee anything. I had some ceramic pieces in a tank that eventually leached something bad into the water and I had to take them out, my fish were'nt looking their normal selves either. The water looked fine to me and there was no smell to signal that something was wrong. I just wanted to throw that out there to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to you.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote