Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Question As a breeder what do you think about selling your females for sorority?

I noticed a breeder posted that his females are not for a sorority. Do object to selling your females to be put in a sorority or are you ok with it? What are your reasons?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

Some are too aggressive to live in a sorority. Probably what the breeder means...unless you WANT a bloodbath. I have two that are just over the top aggressive and so they live alone. :)
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

That is part of what I a wondering about. I suspect a AB female I have now may be aggressive like that. I have that worry and have to hope that none of my fish are males. Going to be interesting!

Would you avoid buying a female fish listed on AB for a sorority that state they are ready to breed?

I wondered if some breeders don't want fish going into a sorority due potentially shorter lives and and they want them to be bred.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 
Deanna01

I'm curious: What breeder is saying that? I have honestly had no problems at all with my sorority and suspect it is more to do with space and set-up than anything.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #5 
Lamb

I think I remember seeing that post somewhere. But it might be that they are too aggressive like PP stated. Personally I don't know how to tell if someone is too aggressive. It seems all of my females are about the same.

I think he was just making sure your and his betta were safe. :)
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #6 
Myates

Never seen that.. I've sold some for sororities.. Tikibird here has a couple of mine that went in one.

Sometimes breeders will separate the females into their own containers (whether they need the grow out tank, or wasn't sure of sex when jarring them, etc) and it runs a risk of the females who are separated to become a bit more territorial and aggressive - that particular breeder may keep all their bettas carded regardless which would definitely make them more aggressive.

Or it could be as simple as they know the risk of what could happen in a sorority and don't want to deal with someone putting up a fuss and wanting a refund/replacement - may of had that experience recently and is now doing it out of frustration.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

I am not sure who posted it. I wasn't interested in the fish it just made me wonder. My AB female charges the sides of her container for certain fish but not all. Hopefully she will just hang out with fish she is comfortable with and avoid others. I move the containers around so they are always seeing different females which is how I noticed her behavior.