Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Filter and heater

Hi!

I have two questions regarding heaters and filters:

1.) What size filter would I need for my 20 gallon long tank? (I was looking at the Whisper type, but if there is a better one please let me know.)

2.) What size or watt for a heater would I need for my 20 gallon long tank? (I am looking at the Visi-Therm type but if there is a better one please let me know)

Thanks so much!! I'm trying to get my tank set up for my new fishies I'll be getting soon!

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #2 
JingleAllTheWay

1.) I think a Whisper filter would be fine. I use a Whisper in my 5 gallon and 1 1/2 gallon and I like them very much. You should just be able to look at the package and it will tell you what size tank (gallons) it is for.

2.) I'm not really sure about the heater so hopefully someone else can help about an exact kind. I got mine from Walmart but I know it isn't Visi-Therm. My only suggestion is to get one that you can actually set to a certain temperature or one that specifically says it will stay at a specific temperature and not go above it. I once got one that only said to unplug when it got above 82 degrees and that was such a pain.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #3 
ThePearlFish

Thanks for a reply so far :) I got one whisper filter that said 10-20 gals and it turned out being too big for the tank, meaning it wouldn't hang on the edge because it was too long from top to bottom. I didn't realize they meant up to 10-20 gallons TALL tank! Yikes! That was my mistake, and now I cannot return it because the packaging was open (rgh), so they can't resell it online (i was mad at myself at that one, lol).

And as far as the heater goes, I did the same thing!! It is too long it ends up out of the the tank when it sits vertically.. I am so bad at judging the sizes of things apparently , sigh.. heh.. I do not know if it would be just as good attaching it sideways in the tank (says it is ok to fully submerge), BUT I don't want to accidently cook my fish if it is wattage that determines how hot it will get.. it says it is 75 watts for an up to 25 gal. tank.

This is my 1st time doing this on my own so I guess it might take a few mess-ups before get a nice result. lol.. (i probably should have mentioned why I was asking my questions in the 1st place)

~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 04-15-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can angle the heater if it won't fit vertically. Thats what I did.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #5 
Cody

I put my heaters horizontal. You want a 100W heater, especially because it is a long tank.

Look for a HOB. They are the best IMO.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #6 
ThePearlFish

thank you! thank you! :)

~TPF
Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine won't fit horizontally OR vertically, so I have to angle it.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #8 
ThePearlFish

ok, i think i can see how that might work. I will see if i can either angle it or place it horizontally and see if it will heat the tank evenly before giving up on that idea, lol. I am not to anxious to go thru the returning the product process of shipping the thing back. Since i cannot send back the filter I will see if maybe i can either keep it for a future project or give it to someone locally. i might have to get rid of the extra filter refills i got for the filter, sigh.. wata pain this misjudging thing is heh..

~TPF
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was told to put mine in horizontally but, as I said, my tank is too small so I had to angle it. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of sending the filter back, either.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #10 
JingleAllTheWay

Yeah, you can put the heater horizontally. Sorry I misunderstood about the filter. :)
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote