Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1 
SingSangSung

Talking Quick question about adjustable heater for 2.5gallon tank.

I was in the petsmart to buy 25watt adjustable heater that is compeletly submerizable. price was $20 and i didnt had money to pay tax so couldnt buy one. i realized that heater was way too tall for my low glass 2.5gallon tank. is there small(in tallness) heater that will fit in my tank? my tank has glass lid that fit exacetly on top of the tank. and it has two holds for heater or bubbles. that heater was topfin company's.
SingSangSung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

The "hydor theo" heaters are very short. You can find them online.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 
DragonFish

A submersible heater doesn't have to stand straight up and down. In fact, turning at an angle or even completely horizontal can be a little better for over-all heat distribution. Turned horizontally and suck on the back just above the gravel the heater in question you found at Petsmart should fit just fine.

Hydor Theos are a pretty good option as well though if you are able to order online. You can find them on Amazon.com, they're not too expensive, and they are a little shorter with the same wattage.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
A submersible heater doesn't have to stand straight up and down. In fact, turning at an angle or even completely horizontal can be a little better for over-all heat distribution. Turned horizontally and suck on the back just above the gravel the heater in question you found at Petsmart should fit just fine.

Hydor Theos are a pretty good option as well though if you are able to order online. You can find them on Amazon.com, they're not too expensive, and they are a little shorter with the same wattage.
Oh so i can just compeletly put under water? ohhhhhh okay that solved my problem! thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Yup! Thats the great thing about a submersible heater, its made to go under the water completely. :)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #6 
SingSangSung

Additional question: i just bought aqurium salt. if i am going to use it, i cannot put salt directly into the tank. right? so i only can put salt in when i do water changes?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

+ 1 to Finn and Dragon. :D

Also, aquarium salt should only be used when necessary. On prolonged use, (10+ days) the salt will start to cause kidney/internal organ damage. Your fish will also start to have a resistance to the salt.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
DragonFish

+1 to Lebron about the salt. You want to treat it like most any medication; use only when necessary and no longer then absolutely necessary. The idea of using it as regular maintenance in a tank is a rather outdated one and proved to be quite a myth in terms of its 'benefits', instead causing internal damage over time like Lebron described. Bettas are a 100% fresh water fish, and in fact people seem to underestimate the power of plain ol' warm, clean water....often that does a lot more for a betta all on its own then most people think IME/O.

But yes, if you were to ever need to use it you would want to fully dissolve it in a small container with a tiny bit of dechlorinated water before you added it to your tank. The dosage would depend on the size of the tank in question and the severity of whatever you were treating for.

However, like I mentioned in your previous thread, I don't think there is any need to jump into a salt treatment with your guy. I don't think it would really do him any good, hes not injured or sick in a way that requires any kind of special treatment other then warm, clean water, maybe some stress coat, and a little time to settle in.
Never hurts to have things like AQ salt on hand of course! But for now, probably best to just keep it with your other supplies for if you ever run into a situation where you do need it. :)
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #9 
SingSangSung

Ohhhhhh okay thanks guys!! i bought AQ just in case :) i will get money and get the thermometer later lol