betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 
Veronika

Two White Dots Near Eyes, Weak & Lethargic

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degress
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes, but I've turned off the heater for the summer.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta plus, floating mini pellets. Aqueon Betta Treat, freeze-dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 or 2 pellets a day, bloodworms occasionally.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta H20 Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I went to PetSmart to test my water last Friday, and the employee said all levels looked fine, but the ph was somewhat low. I didn't get the exact numbers, unfortunately.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has two white dots next to each of his eyes. There are no other dots of the rest of his body, as far as I can see. The scales near his head look slightly raised.
Here is a picture.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Has completely stopped swimming, seems weak and lethargic, responds to the sight of food but can't move himself to get it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Earlier last week, when he starting getting lethargic and swimming less.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I changed around 40% of the water last Thursday, but there was no change. When I still thought he was depressed, I bought him an Amazon Sword aquatic plant, which I planted yesterday.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for a year now. He looked mature when I bought him, but I don't know his approximate age.

I'm sorry for the information I'm lacking, but I would appreciate any help! I had first thought he was depressed or just getting older, but his symptoms/appearance have become increasingly strange.
I don't know if it's relevant, but there is a lot of algae present in the tank. I wasn't too concerned, as I'd been told it was harmless.

Last edited by Veronika; 07-22-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Veronika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Veronika and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your guy is sick. I think some of his problems could be due to water quality. Although Petsmart told you your water parameters were okay, it's hard to know what their standard of "okay" is. My guess, from the symptoms and from the presence of algae in his tank, is that your nitrite/nitrate levels may be a little too high. And also, if I remember correctly, the test strips that they use to test the water DON'T test for ammonia, which is the most important factor. If I remember, they use Tetra/Jungle Labs 6-in-1 strips. So my guess is your ammonia is also probably quite high as well.

I'd recommend you either get an ammonia test kit (strips or preferably the liquid test kit) so you can keep an eye on those parameters OR you specifically ask Petsmart to test for ammonia levels.

To help your guy, I suggest doing a 50% water change ASAP. Then tomorrow, do another 50% change. This will safely bring the ammonia levels down. After this, it would be a good idea to change at least 40% of the water once a week to maintain water quality.

You can also add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon to his tank. You may want to remove the swordplant, as most plants are salt-sensitive. When you change the water, only add back in as much salt as you've removed. So if you do a 50% change and take out 2.5 gallons, only add back 2.5 tsps of salt. You can use the salt for up to 14 days. During this time, you may want to change 25% of the water every few days and use a gravel vacuum to suck dirt/debris out of the gravel. This is because there is a possibility parasites may fall off of his body because of the salt and you want to get them out of the tank before they can reattach.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck and keep us updated. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote