Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #1 
sixcards

Unhappy one of my females attacked my new female

I have a female red dragon that just attacked my new female ct Cambodian and now she has a chunk hanging by her ovipositor(?)!!! What should I do??? Can I save her??? I've got her in a med tank with stress coat, should I add aq salt? Don't know what to do.

Last edited by sixcards; 07-23-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: sorry, spelt female wrong.
sixcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If its just a chunk missing & she has no internal body parts hanging out she may recover with what you've already done. You can add some aq salt it certainly won't hurt. I've had fish who had chunks missing & after a week or so in a hospital tank with clean, warm, conditioned water & the calmness of no other fish they've healed up just fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #3 
sixcards

I believe she will be passing shortly, She's breathing hard and keeps turning upside down at the bottom of the tank.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh I'm so sorry. have you lowered the water level or put her into a cup that can float in the tank? This will allow her to easily get air & not sturggle to swim. Not sure it'll help at this point but it could make her more comfortable. The other possibility if you think she's suffering is you could think about euthanizing.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #5 
sixcards

She has passed. I had big plans for her, looked forever for a Cambodian.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

So sorry. I know its hard to lose them reagardless of the reason.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm very sorry about your Cambo female sixcards.

Might I ask though, was it just the two of them in a tank or were there other females? I just hope to help prevent further issues in the future for you
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #8 
sixcards

there were two girls in the tank and I waited 2wks before I put her in there with them. 1st week just to make sure she wasn't gonna die on me, then the 2nd week to make sure they seen her long enough. She was in there for a couple hours before my red dragon had her in her mouth and shaking her.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, you can't have just two girls in a tank. For a sorority tank to be successful you need to have 5+ girls. Girls are just as aggressive as males are the only difference is they don't intentionally kill, they may injure to the point of death but their goal is not to kill unlike males. So in order to keep girls together, you need to spread out the aggression, the more girls you have the more one single girl won't get picked on as much. That make sense?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #10 
sixcards

Yeah, I understand. I had bought 3 females and when I got home my big black orchid crowntail was going after the other two so took her out and the other two was fine so stupid me thought I could add another one with the other two. Boy was I wrong!!