Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #1 
flippydoo

Fin Rot Diagnosis and Treatment Help? - QT with salt and 100% changes question

Hello! First betta, first post :]

I've been doing a lot of reading and am currently fish-in cycling (I know, not ideal, but no other option) a 10g tank with a betta, african dwarf frogs, and ghost shrimp.

My betta came with what looks like mild fin rot. My first question is: can you confirm this diagnosis? Here are pictures:

As soon as I noticed fin loss, I've kept him quarantined him in 2 gallons of fresh, prime-treated water. As per the sticky, I've begun treating him for rot by adding 2tsp of dissolved aquarium salt to his QT tank (1tsp/1gallon).

Now comes my second question: I've read that scooping betta out of their tank and doing a 100% water change is bad for them. However, the ammonia levels in the QT tank build up very fast, and so merely doing a 50%-75% change daily means there is still as much as .25ppm of ammonia left in the tank and (I assume) this is bad for the treatment process. Also, doing 100% changes helps make it easier to maintain a 1tsp/gallon salt content without the possibility of over-dosing.

So should I continue to scoop my betta out of his QT tank every day and refill it with totally fresh salt-treated water even though he clearly hates the scooping process? Or should I stop this behavior and just leave him in the QT while doing twice-daily 50% changes while adding 1tsp of salt each time?

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by flippydoo; 07-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
flippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 
Mar

That definitely looks like finrot.

If you scoop him out nice and gently, he should be just fine. How are you scooping him out?

I'd recommend getting a cup and letting him swim into it, or get him near the surface, then put the cup down, and he'll just go along with the flow of water. No sudden movements, and lift him out gently.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 
flippydoo

I thought so, thanks for confirming.

I use a 1 cup measuring cup to get him out. As soon as I put it in the water close to him he'll usually swim away, and hide in a corner so I can't reach him. I usually trap him without harming him, though. He just freaks out a bit. Then I transfer him into a small holding container while I clean the tank and use the measuring cup again to put him back.

So basically you're saying what I'm doing is okay as long as I don't harm or stress him with the transfers?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #4 
Mar

yep, just make sure to follow the sticky and don't do any heavy dosage of salt over 10 days.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually I disagree Mar, that looks like fin regrowth to me. The black that you see there is a natural coloring and the white edging is fin regrowth. It looks like he bit his fins a little while ago and they are now healing. Which means, don't use AQ salt at all.

My recommendation is to put him back into the 10 gallon and test for ammonia every day while it cycles. When it get's at or over .25ppm, do a water change of about 25%, wait an hour and test again. If it's still over, do another 25% and so on till it's at or below .25ppm.

But when you put new water in, use Stress Coat water conditioner, this will promote healing and help him heal up more. Also a good diet will help as well, not knowing what kind of food you have for him; I suggest you to find some New Life Spectrum Betta Formula/Small Fish formula or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both of these have a high nutritional value and will help his immune system stay strong and he'll be happier too ^_^ I have both of them but all my fishes main staple is the NLS and then occasionally I'll throw Omega One into the mix which they seem to not like as much as NLS. But either way, both great foods and not bad for the price either! The little containers last forever it seems!

So anyway, those two things plus higher temps to kick up the immune system will help too so if you have an adjustable heater, set it to 82-83. Your Beneficial bacteria (which is what you're growing in a Cycle) will love the higher temps too!

Hope this all helps
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 
Mar

I'm a noob, lil's the pro xD

Should've known better, Athena has the same thing right now going on with her fins.
Sorry!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 
flippydoo

Oh interesting! So there's no rot going on as far as you can tell? That's good news. I hope the 4 days in salt QT hasn't made him too upset. I definitely want to change to NLS pellets, he doesn't seem to like the hikari ones I have.

Will do on the water tests and temperatures. I have about .25ppm of ammonia in my tap water, but I've read that Prime will ammonia lock it and it will still register in an API liquid test. So I gather that I'll just be testing for levels above .50 then.

If I pick up some stress coat conditioner, do I use that in conjunction with Prime for my tapwater conditioning?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, Prime temporarily converts ammonia to ammonium which is still read on the test, yeah, and then after 48 hours it reverts back to ammonia. The idea is that the cycle will be able to eat up the ammonia before it reverts back to ammonia basically So that's why cycles are good. And yes you are right, if it is at .50 and above, change it until it reads below .25ppm.

And because you have ammonia in your tap water, you can use both the conditioners accordingly and it won't be overkill, so that's just fine ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote