Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #1 
Tokyo

Tank care.

I'll be getting a 5g tank for my Betta soon and I was wondering if I should set up the water now and put cycle and water conditioner in it so when we get the tank it will be ready for him.

I'm quite clueless when it comes to fish care, and ive been looking online non-stop looking for advise but everyone has their own ways, but I'm trying my best. So any help would be ubber appreciated. :)

Also is putting water conditioner while the fish is in the tank a bad thing? Or do you have to put it in 12hours before you put the fish in? :L

Last edited by Tokyo; 04-17-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I fill up gallon jugs and then put conditioner in the water while its in the jugs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #3 
Chicklet

It is always best to mix the water & conditioner up ahead of time, Preferably 24 hours before needing it,
But even a few hours is good.

The conditioner is ALWAYS a good idea to do before it goes in the tank, But if you should Forget for some unknown reason, Then don't add it directly to the tank,
At the very least, Dip out a cup or two of the water and mix the conditioner in that, Stir it up good then slowly pour in back into the tank.

If your gonna do a cycle it's always the best idea to do before the fish is added if possible,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #4 
LaniBaby

i usually allow about 3 days after i set up the tank to put the fish in. this allows for any chlorine to evaporate from the water, allows the water temp to settle, and lets you know your heater isn't malfunctioning. I also always keep 2 gallons of water hidden away under the cabinet. that way, if i should need emergency water for any reason (tank spill, fish illness, etc.) i'll have some aged water that's at room temp that I can use right away.

Tokyo, you've mentioned this "cycle" product a few times. can you explain what it is? I've never heard of it. I know about cycling tanks but i don't know of a product with that name.

Good luck!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #5 
Chicklet

cycle
Reduces fish loss
More Nitrifiers Keeps aquariums healthy
Rapidly matures new aquariums
For FRESH or SALT WATER

Cycle releases massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the aquarium, Each dose works to reduce dangerous ammonia and nitrrite levels in the aquarium. This helps prevent fish loss,

Cycle is an all-natural product that will not harm plants, animals or humans it is impossible to over dose.

Now my experiance with this stuff, Totally useless, I found it no good, Never showed reduced levels before or after use, Tanks didn't cycle any faster with or without it, I think it's more of a "FEEL GOOD " Product,
Willing to take your money.

Name:  cycle.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  29.0 KB

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-17-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #6 
Tokyo

Okay so I ended up getting a tank today, a 10g (It was on sale for 40$ :D) and another beta. :D

I took the water in jugs and mixed the conditioner before I put it in the tank. Same with the cycle stuff, and now I'll filter the water for an hour or too then add the betas to there sides of the tank.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard other forum members say that the Cycle stuff is no good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #8 
Nataku

40 bucks for a 10 gallon? Boy I hope it came with some stuff like a hood and lights, maybe a filter and pump too.
Cycle - use it if you like, it doesn't do anything particularly useful that I've ever found. Likewise, I guess it doesn't really do anything bad. We tried some of those products back in marine science class to see if it ever really did make any real difference to the water parameters.... we never noticed any real measurable difference while cycling a tank with or without the stuff. Still had ammonia, still had nitrites, still had nitrate. Considering the cost of the stuff and the fact that we as students had to fund our extra supplies (school funding? No that's for the football team that hasn't won a game in three seasons), we quickly decided it was not at all worth it. Frequent water changes if you are trying to cycle a tank with fish in it is still your best option if you don't have colonized filter media from another tank to transfer over for a kick start.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #9 
Chicklet

Thats what tanks cost around here,
$20.00 for a 1 gallon
$29.00 for a 3 gallon
$31.00 for a 5 gallon
$39.00 for a 10 gallon
$87.00 for a 20 gallon
Before Taxes of course...

1 to 3 gallons come with lighted tops, pump, underground filtration system, and a plant.
all the biger ones (except the 5 gallon ) come with a lighted cover & a filter,
and small food pkgs of course & thats it, The rest you gotta buy.
5 gallons they come with nothing except the lighted cover,

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-17-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #10 
Nataku

Bah, 40 bucks for a 10 gallon with nothing extra? What a rip. >.> I'd be ordering them online by then to see if with shipping they'd be cheaper....
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote