Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #11 
Tokyo

It came with a filter, lights, and the regular fish food and whatnot. Where I am in Canada it is very expensive for almost everything.

We went to 3 pet stores and this was the cheapest, plus it was on sale from 79% There where some there that where 360$ for 20 gals. >,<
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #12 
Chicklet

Quote:
Bah, 40 bucks for a 10 gallon with nothing extra? What a rip. >.> I'd be ordering them online by then to see if with shipping they'd be cheaper....
Your in the states, This is Canada, you can get more here, But your looking at alot more money too.
$40.00 is about the best your gonna find for a 10 gallon around here new, Online with shipping gonna be even more, Everywhere I looked it was, Walmart has about the best deals around here.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #13 
BettaPerson

what kind of pump should i get for a 5 gallon? and whats the smallest gallon tank you can get to split it into 2 and have 2 bettas??
BettaPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #14 
Nataku

A 5 gallon is the absolute smallest I would split, as that will leave each betta with 2.5 gallons. Just think whenever looking at a tank "If I split it, will each betta still have at least 2.5 gallons?" If the answer is no, then no, you shouldn't try splitting it.

And I don't run pumps on most of my tanks, and certainly nothing under 10 gallons. It's just not worth it for smaller tanks with bettas. They don't want much flow, and the filter really just isn't that terribly useful as far as I'm concerned. Someone else who runs filters more than I may have more info for you on the topic if you really want to stick a filter in a smaller tank.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #15 
Kim

I use filters for all my tanks, 5.5 gallons and up. They are all cycled though, otherwise there's really not much reason to use one. Although I do have trouble heating the entire tank consistantly if I don't have some water flow, but that's because the room temperature is often a lot lower than the tank temp. I use the azoo palm filter on my 5.5 gallon, a mini canister for my divided 10 gal (intake on one side and outflow on the other works great for good water circulation without much current), and a HOB filter with a baffle for my divided 15 gal (again, with the intake and outflow on opp. sides of the divider).

To the OP: Maybe check craigslist for good deals on tanks? I've gotten some great deals on there ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #16 
Holeintheworld

Wow 40$ for a 10 gallon is pretty cheap for around here, a while ago I got a 15 gallon and mostly cost 300$ and it only came with a lighted cover, a heater and a filter
Holeintheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #17 
Chicklet

Quote:
Wow 40$ for a 10 gallon is pretty cheap for around here, a while ago I got a 15 gallon and mostly cost 300$ and it only came with a lighted cover, a heater and a filter
Ya I could pay that too if I went to the local fish stores to buy a tank, (Guess that's why I don't buy there :)
Walmart is the way to go around here,

I know people who went and bought the exact same tanks I did, Just not from walmart and their now trying to sell them and wonder why they can't get at least $150.00 for them, I told them why and some got really pissed off.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #18 
froglady

Hi I have a betta in a 5 gallon eclipse tank. do you think that filter is mild enough current flow? the betta seems to enjoy swimming through it. its fairly weak current.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #19 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I use filters for all my tanks, 5.5 gallons and up. They are all cycled though, otherwise there's really not much reason to use one. Although I do have trouble heating the entire tank consistantly if I don't have some water flow, but that's because the room temperature is often a lot lower than the tank temp.
Same here. The flow on my filter is a bit too much for my betta but the bottom of the tank gets REALLY cold with out it because my house is so cold. What I have stared doing is turning the filter on at night while I sleep and the tank is dark, then turning it back off in the daytime. And if I'm home during the day, I'll turn it on once or twice for a while then, too.

I don't know if it really does a whole lot as far as actually filtering the water goes, but it does keep the water mixed so the whole tank it warm. I should just invest in a bubbler but I don't really have enough outlets near my tank and it probably wouldn't help too much.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote