Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

DIY Cat Treats/Toys

Anyone know some?

I'm volunteering at this shelter, and the cats there look so bored! The staff there are really friendly, they actually let young kids to volunteer.. There are these 4 kittens sharing this cage and this gray and white tabby who are just so playful!

My parents have me $15 but that won't cut it, I want to help all the cats there. I was thinking of healthy snacks, perhaps out of banana and just a small amount of meat? I know they're strictly carnivores, but they get their plants in their prey's stomach in the wild.

Toys or treats?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

I know our local shelter loves it when we drop off scrap fleece, because they make it into cat toys. That might be something to look into. If you have a freecycle in your area, you could also post looking for scrap fabric, or unwanted cat items for the shelter.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I'll ask them once I go there again. A freecycle? Nope, never heard one here. :/ Do you know what your shelter does to the fleece?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 
jag14

You could get some large beads and hang them from the cages. That would be cheap. Where I work, we get miles of string. My linen arrives bundled with cotton strings. We throw away a small trashbag full every day. Bells would be cheap too from a craft store or the crafts section at walmart.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Isn't that a choking hazard? I don't want them to suffocate. :/

I already made a toy out of clean old clothes, I saw a video on Youtube.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

I've seen sparkly pom poms used as toys in the humane society:
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 
ismintis

As far as treats go, at my LPS they have 99 cent grass plants. All you do is sprits them with water everyday and it grows. Cats and I think dogs too eat grass to help their digestive track. It's also fun for them to eat.

I volunteer at my local humane society strictly for cats. Some of the older ones weren't getting adopted because they seemed lazy and not affectionate. But that was because they get scared not being in a home environment. So one day I brought in some cat nip and played with the older cats until they were bouncing off the walls. Lots of kids came in to play with me and got the attention of their parents. I think two older cats got adopted that day too. :)
I think it's fun to try and help the adoption process, and see animals go to nice homes.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks, and I'll try!

Also, I plan to do just that. (: I made plenty of toys, for the young to the elderly. I was thinking of treats in a paper ball that's crumpled? Or maybe some "cookies" of wheat flour, catnip, and some fish or chicken?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 
ismintis

In my experience of dealing with many cats, wheat isn't good for them. Their digestive systems aren't designed to handle carbohydrates such as grains and vegetables. Yes in a small amount veggies are okay, but cats aren't omnivores. They don't even drink much water because they are supposed to get most of it from the meat they eat from another animal.
Also, you might be at risk for a cat to have loose/bloody stools or throwing up a lot. This is because each cat has a different tolerance to grains and the such. One of my cats Micah, has had many dietary problems because of pet store food that contains too much of icky processed blec and too much grain.

I would instead try just cat nip toys or cheap wet food such as Tiki Cat or Natural Balance. Be sure to ask the employees if it's okay to feed the cats certain foods in case of allergic reactions and other health issues a cat may have.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, my. :0 And yes, I remember.

Do the clothing toys have anything wrong with them? I seriously don't want anyone to get hurt. :/