Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #1 
Lamb

Red breeding curiosities...

I was wondering what would happen if you bred red (like my Aquila) to anything other than red? Not blue, but what about yellow, orange, or opaque?

The only red female I've found either carry/have the dragon gene (unfavorable I know) or have blue wash. So I was wondering what would happen if bred to something like yellow, orange, or opaque (or platinum if I can find one)?
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #2 
Lamb

How can you tell if an opaque carries the blonde gene?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #3 
Myates

Red is a dominant color, so you'll get variations of red. The colors you listed are not dominant so you will get very few, if any at all, that aren't red.

Blonde is in the black layer - the black layer basically controls the amount of black pigment in the fish.. if you are looking at an opaque fish and see no black then it's pretty much going to be blonde.. if you see one with black anywhere on it's body (especially towards the head) then it's black base.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #4 
Lamb

Great! Thank you!!! I don't know what I'd do without you! I have an opaque girl, she has a green sheen, but no black anywhere. I was hoping that I could produce some nice reds, and figured something less dominant would be a good choice. I just wasn't sure if it would reduce the red. I read that yellow, cambodian, and orange can. But couldn't find anything with opaque. I might try to find a nice red girl, I'm not sure yet.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #5 
Myates

The cellophane coloring on your girl will most likely mute the red - make purples as well different variations of the red. It's hard to say exactly as it also depends on their lineage and what was bred into them to make the ones you have. But it's fun to experiment as well and see what you get.. may get something you love and can try to breed toward that more :)

I'd love to help more, but I'm weak when it comes to color genetics - unless it's something specific I cam working towards (like right now I have blue cambodians and butterfly cambodians I am working on), I tend to toss fish together to see what I get lol. I like to experiment and have fun - to me that's how we come up with cool fish :) I am a purist when it comes to solids, but even then I will go off the track and throw something in lol.. In the near-ish future (probably 4 spawns from now) I'm tossing in a purple/white girl in with a blue (with blue mask) boy to see what I get.. lol

Last edited by Myates; 07-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #6 
Lamb

Oooo blue and butterfly cambodians would be sooooo lovely!

As for color, I can't decide what I want to do. I have a few pairs, but think I might want to mix them up, I've been going back and forth with what I should do. Chard56 is sending me a purple, silver dragon, and yellow females, and they should be here today. I also have a blue marble male, and a nice looking royal blue male coming in today. I was thinking that purple marbles would be nice, so I was thinking of using my purple female with him to see what would happen. I did really want to produce koi, but it seems a lot of people are trying that, so I think I'll stick to something else I think is interesting. I have a hard time deciding.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Genetically speaking opaque is a result of irid x cambodian. Blond and NR genes affect to white-ness. Considering they need all those genes combined, they are recessive. Same goes for yellow and orange but with a red back ground.

If you want to produce blond red (your Avi) your best bet would be yellow, orange, or red cabodian (no irids at all). It doesn't really matter if the orange or yellow show slight black markings, they still carry the blond gene. You may not produce clean solid reds in F1 but you should have them in F2 on wards.
If you breed to an opaque, theoretically you will be introducing irids into your red. Both irid and red are dominant and are hard to clean out.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #8 
Lamb

Oh! Okay! I will try my yellow girl when she matures a little bit. Or I might try to find a nice red female. Thank you indjo!!!