Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Stocking a 20G - got any advice/ideas for me?

Well I have to start all over with my 20G, which was completely wiped out while I was on vacation and it was the responsibility of a friend (it's a long sad story). I've decided to start working on some ideas for re-stocking it and I'd love some feedback.

I was considering an axolotl tank, but they can't have other fish, inverts, etc. in their tank because they gobble everything up and their gills are fragile and look like food. So I think I'd rather just do another community tank. This is what I definitely want to put in there:
  • 1 male betta (which I have already - he's currently in a 2G by himself)
  • 2-3 dwarf frogs
  • 5-10 RCS
  • 6 cory catfish maybe
I think I still have a room for a little bit more so I was hoping to get some suggestions with and without the cories. My heart's set on them, but if I do get them can I get the shrimp as well? And is the tank already full stocked with them included? I think I'd be alright with that, honestly, but it might be nice to have a small school of upper level fish or a couple individuals. Ideas?
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I'm so sorry about your community tank! :/ I felt the same pain before, except it was my bare fault.

Anyways, it's a good community! The tank already seems full. The bottom part of the tank seems to be crowded however. Have you thought of rasboras or tetras? They'll take the middle swimmer part of the tank. Except you'll have to get rid of 1 or 2 frogs.

I think you should just stick to the one above, maybe lighten the cory load to 4 or 5. :D Good luck, is it cycled or planted?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 
ashleigheperry

I agree it seems crowded - I'd be willing to give up a few frogs but I've heard they're more engaging when they can interact with one another. I would be willing to skip the cories as I said but I just love them - they're so cute and goofy. But I agree, it does seem too crowded at the bottom. I personally keep cories in school of six minimum so I'd rather skip them altogether than limit the school to four (though people do so with success all the time - it's just a personal preference) and do a school of something that swims higher in the water column.

I'm not overly fond of tetras/rasboras but I'm sure I could choose something similar and peaceful. I do like bleeding heart tetras. They're super pretty. And schools of neons are super colorful and I love colorful. I'll have to look into some options.

Well what happened to my tank was a catastrophic overheating when the pet sitter turned the heater up instead of down on accident (and the AC was off for two weeks while we were away). The temperature killed all of my fish and plants so I'm pretty sure the cycle was destroyed. However I'm getting it fully set up in the next few days (minus fish) and will be fully cycling and planting it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, I have 4 albinos. They are so active, whether they're partially blind or not; they know where things are. haha

I don't suggest neons often, you'll have to QT them longer due to their neon disease. :/ I guess the bleeding hearts are fine, it's a 20G long? Hope you'll find out what you really want soon! (:

And again, I apologize on what happened. The BB like heat so maybe it still did survive? Since you have so many fish, I presume you have a liquid test kit?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #5 
ashleigheperry

I had a school of albino cories in my community that I lost and they were some of my favorite fish ever, truly. They're adorable and all over the place.

Yeah I know. Are cardinals any better? I've had some bad experiences with neons I just love how they look. So pretty and colorful. It's just a basic 20G, not long or tall. And I like bleeding hearts but I don't know much about them so I'd definitely need to do research on them.

Thanks for the condolences. (:
The tank was over 100 degrees so nothing really survived. And he's just told me he never had the lights on so that definitely played a role in killing the plants. I do have a liquid test kit. I've been so busy salvaging my other two tanks that I haven't tested the large tank yet. I will tonight though. /nod
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Cardinals are larger, I think that's the only difference. Either cardinals or the bleeding hearts will do just fine. As long as your water is soft, the bleeding heart will do great. Have you thought of guppies? Females are best of course, with their paler colors. They're great tankmates, but my betta nips them time to time because they invade "his" space.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

What about Pygmy Cories and eight or so male Dwarf Guppies? The Guppies are peaceful, okay with inverts and according to breeder from whom I'm getting mine, they don't even eat their own young...which is why I'm getting all males! They're about half the size of a regular Guppy.

If you have tall plants and floating moss, the RCS will be all over the tank and Pygmy Cories shoal both mid- and bottom-level.

Just a thought.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #8 
ashleigheperry

That's actually a great idea - I love how colorful guppies are and they'd fit in well with my water parameters. Does your breeder have a website or any info available to the general public?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

He sells on AquaBid. I've sent him an email asking if I can post his email address. He was willing to sell me all males; no one else would do that. Did you look at the videos? This one has shrimp running around in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmrJvrm1z4o

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-23-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Chuck said it was okay to post his email address: ckam1@comcast.net. He's "Mysteryman" on AquaBid.