Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #1 
MJ1911

Sashi's Sick. Please help.

Amonia 0, trace amounts of nitrite, temp 82, 1st week in brand new new 5.0 gallon tank, tests conducted before the 30% water change today, this was his only water change in the last 7 days, aquarium is uncycled.

We did the 30% water change today and only then did I see that both his eyes are bulging horrendously out of his head. 3 or 4 days ago I asked my GF if our betta's eyes are bulging out and she says no, that it's only the ridge of his eyebrow, it's the shape of his cranium. So I thought nothing of it. Yesterday and the day before that I had work so I didn't see the fish at all but today I went over her place to check up on him and first thing I see is that the fish is real skinny. We only had this fish for less than 2 weeks, in the first week, I suppose this proves that we were underfeeding him, so for the last 3 days we nearly doubled what he has been receiving, which is now 5-6 pellets in total, divided into 2 or 3 meals. The problem is that it's my GF doing most of the feeding as I'm not around most of the time and she goes by the number of pellets rather than how big the abdomen plumps up after every meal so I'm suspecting that even when I told her to feed more, it was still not enough to meet the fish's daily nutritional requirements.

So I fed him some more, bloodworms, today as part of his weekly treat, until his belly grew slightly beyond what is healthy, but considering how scrawny he looked, he probably needed it. It was already his second meal of the day, and at supper time I gave him 1 more pellet even though his abdomen still ooked like he was still digesting. I don't think we'll be fasting him tomorrow either as part of his schedule.

Then we did the water change, 30%, vacuuming the gravel, nearly 80% and that went well. Then when we finished I took a close look at the fish and his eyes looked way bigger than it did 3 days ago since I last saw him. Imagine an 8-ball. It's exactly that shape, not well rounded at all, and half of it is protruding from his head. We had examined the water soon after the change and noticed some spider silk like substance floating around, 2 or three and we plucked those out with the turkey baster. May have been the glue they used for attaching the fake leaves to the fake stems of the plant decorations. The surface of the water too looked dirty but I was told not to change the water based on how the surface looked. The particles there looked more like lint and there was quite a lot of them. Don't know what they are, just saying that they look like lint.

The aquarium that the fish is in is the Fluval Spec V, and the filter it comes with is notorious for being too strong, so what I did was set it to the lowest possible setting on the first day and left it there. 2 days later we bought this cylinder shaped foam, also made by fluval designed to perfectly cover the spout so that the water current would be more calmer. It's been like that for the last 5 days and when I look at the surface, it looks still. There is a slight rotation in the water on the surface but if I had to count how long it would take for the water to do a full rotation around the tank, it would be over half a minute. I thought this would be too slow, but loved how still it was and was planning on simply monitoring the water quality. Problem is that I worked yesterday and the day before that so I wasn't able to see how it was then.

So today, I pulled the base of the filter out where the switch was and cranked it to the max and placed it back down. After the applying the cylinder foam there was still no turbulent current and the rotational speed of the water was improved significantly. I hope that helps.

I'd like to know if anybody here knows of a connection between malnutrition and popeye? I couldn't believe that the water was dirty cuz three days ago it was pristine. So clean infact that that was when I took the picture for my avatar. I'm afraid that the lint-like stuff on the surface is more of that glue that they used, which was blown out of the fake plants in the first two days and was never filtered out completely when I applied the foam to baffle. Ammonia's reading 0, last week it also read 0 but that was after a 50% water change. And is it the ammonia that causes popeye or the overall dirtiness of the water? It was too late in the day to do another water change, and also too soon as we just did the 30%, but tomorrow I'm planning a 100% water change.

Anything else I'm overlooking or something you guys could suggest? As much as possible I'd like to stay away from antiobiotics, but if I have to, I'll resort to them.

Wish I could share a pic but couldnt bear to look at him anymore. It's not the size that worries me so much as the shape. It's not yet grotesque, and they are even (if that makes it any better) and worst case scenario is that it's only the 3rd day so I think I have some time to reverse the situation before he pops an eye out.

30% will have to do for today, filter is maxed, and he's been fed well.
MJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

Don't do a full water change. Some bacteria built up in the tank builds your poor fish's immune system. If I were you, I would do 30-50% water changes daily. If Sashi doesn't improve, then I don't know what else to tell you. Commonly, chemicals put in the water to hep your fish usually hurts them even more. I hope Sashi feels better soon!
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Pictures would help. But there are lots of things that cause popeye, including internal infections. I don't think ammonia buildup normally causes popeye, but I could be wrong on that.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

Sashi may have been fed a bit too much, and I don't think betta fish like filters due to the current.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 
MJ1911

The cylinder foam does a great job at baffling so that aside from the rotational movement of the water, there are no ripples, even now when it's set to max. It's whisper quiet too.

I'll do the 50% water change everyday, and make sure his belly plumps after every meal. I'll admit, he may have been fed a little too much today, but since we've had him for the last 2 weeks, I'm afraid he wasn't being fed enough. So it could be malnutrition. It could also be that linty substance which I'm afraid is glue particles floating around. For those reading my journals, I've mentioned that Sashi loves the filter and is swimming constantly. It may be because he is trying to clean his eyes out. 3 days of 50% should get most of whatever is in the water out for him. And the filter is much stronger now without any noticeable effect on the stillness of the surface. I watch his pectoral fins when he is away from the outtake and near it and each time I don't see him overexerting himself to maintain his position.

I'll see him in 3 hours to do these things. I'll take a picture then.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #6 
TheGoldenBetta

Ok, that should help Sashi heal up pretty well. Do you use pellets? If so, you should give your betta 2 pellets 2 times a day. Also, how long have you had Sashi? That could be a factor.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #7 
eden000

It could be that the Popeye was a result of something from the pet store, and had nothing to do with you. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My betta had a bit of it after being with me for about a week and a half, but I cured it with clean water and Epsom Salt after about 3 days. If it gets really bad, you could use a bit of Epsom Salt (making sure to acclimate him properly first, of course).
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 
MJ1911

Will be 2 weeks this Wednesday. For the first week he was getting all bloodworms, and in very small quantities. We thought it was enough until we compared it to pellet sizes and realize we should give a bit more. Then about a week ago we switched him to Omega 1s, but I'm cautious to go with # of pellets/day as there could be differing sizes so your 2 may be 3 pellets on my end. We keep it between a total of 5-6 total, so that will be 3 in the morning and 2 to 3 at night, depending on how big his belly is. He is really active, that and the fact that he didn't get enough the first week, so yesterday and today I'll feed him more than what is suggested and see how he'll react. At the moment, I'd rather risk constipation over him turning pirate and losing an eye.

If it's a water quality issue, then as much as I'd like to do a full 100% change today, that may bring about new problems so I'll take you suggestion. Thanks to you both btw.

Now, if his popeye was the result of malnutrition AND poor water quality, then I sincerely hope it's not too late. Like I said in the first post, the filtration rate was increased without adding any visible signs of greater water current so even though I only did 30% yesterday, in the last 16 hours the filtration system has been more effective at it's job.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #9 
MJ1911

Hi eden000, I also thought about the from the petstore theory and it could very well be true. Daily water change and proper feeding should rule out both factors. I have to disagree with the salt though. There are varying opinions on this. Some swear by it, others disgaree dut to bettas being fresh water fishes.

I'll try anything that's been proven to work. But from what I can tell, salt kills fungal and other infections. His popeye is the result of dirty water. In that case, daily water change is the least intrusive form of treatment.

Edit: If after the 3rd day and his condition worsens, I'll look into more aggressive ways of treatment. Starting with salt and ending with anti biotics

Last edited by MJ1911; 07-08-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: didn't want to double post, forgot to mentio this
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #10 
TheGoldenBetta

Np I love to help, but you can do 100% water changes every month or so, although I wouldn't suggest in your situation. I truly hope he feels better!