Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #11 
NorthernLights

I spend time watching them. Sounds lame, but Odysseus has always loving watching me watch him. He'll dance for me, stare at me, pose for me, etc. Galahad is also getting in on the act. I'm trying to make sure I stare at them for equal amounts so they feel equally loved. It's mesmerizing. I can watch them for ages and not get bored.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #12 
GinjaHaZ

I watch my Lucifer a lot, but he does a pretty good job of entertaining himself. I do want to try the ping pong ball idea though! lol
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #13 
Hopeseeker

My 2 older boys just ignore ping pong balls. Might have to see if my new guy does anything.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #14 
Midori

My mom use to dance with mine. Mine are never 'bored' per-say. They always live in an active room where they get attention. I've brought my leopard gecko out and let her crawl around the shelf I keep my bettas. They all had different reactions to her. I always tended to keep my betta's in pairs. They'd live next to one another in separate bowls/tanks. It was always interesting trying to pair each of them up with other fish they seemed to enjoy the company of.

I always also change up what they get to look at. Switch around the knickknacks I keep by them so they always have something different to look at.
Midori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #15 
HeadlessLegoMom

I keep my betta in the kitchen, and we can sleep for ten hours without an issue, but when we leave the apt. for more than a couple hours he bites the hell out of his tail. I happened to see a package of six brightly colored ping pong balls at Target yesterday. Someone suggested I leave one in his tank whenever we go out for the day. Last night I put a yellow one in his tank and then tried to bait him into discovering that he can move it by holding a treat in front of the ball. That didn't work too well. He just jumped up and took the food, and when I floated the ball gently he swam away. Anyone have any suggestions on how to teach him to use it to amuse himself???
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #16 
Julio1983

I also watch Julio a lot... especially in the mornings when I have my breakfast (this generally makes me late for work - hes such a distraction!!)
He loves being watched too, and he gets really excited and dances around... he also loves it when I click my fingers at him... he goes crazy!
Not sure what that's about but he really responds to it.
This morning he was flaring and showing off a little bit :)
I switch his decorations in his tank up once every 6 weeks or so just to keep him on his toes...

As for the ping pong ball - he flared at it when I first put it in etc, but he then ignored it... ill pop it back in tonight and try and get him to play with it...

I keep my tank in the kitchen as its more of a high traffic area. I think he likes all the action that goes on...hes a bit of a sticky beak too... the other day I caught him laying on his hammock just watching me and my husband making dinner!
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #17 
BittyB

I keep mine on the kitchen island since he likes to watch and be watched. I make sure to give him plenty of time to show off. He also enjoys seeing me cut stuff on that island.

I move stuff around and put random things by his tank to look at, I've put random floating things in his tank like a piece of styrofoam, a ball, a bottle cap, float the fluval moss ball, etc.

I have ghost shrimp in another tank and I have them go in after a cleaning to wipe out all the crud on his gravel and to keep him on his toes, then move them back to the other tank. During water changes I also throw him into that tank for a visit. Same water parameters and temps so they're fine being visitors.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #18 
Julio1983

good idea putting random floating things in there...
I guess my main concerned was that he was bored...
so mixing things up is the key!

mine also likes to watch me cook and bake in the kitchen...! they are so adorable
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote