Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

Question How To Properly Euthanize Snails

Hello,
So I have a snail problem. My golden mystery snails bred, and I have snails everywhere in my 15 gallon tank. Two egg sacks have hatched, and I have disposed of the other sacks and I will do so to any more. I just don't have room in that tank for any more fish or snails, and I want to know the most humane way to euthanize my snails. None of my friends with fish will take them, and I'm not allowed to sell them or give them to any of you guys. I don't want the snails to be in any pain, so I really want to do this right. Please help! Thanks in advance.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

An extremely salty (super saturated) solution will kill them very quickly. It might be bloody though. Basically, put a lot of aquarium salt in a small container (a couple ounces max), fill it with boiling water, shake it for as long as you can... There should still be some salt crystals because it is saturated. Let it cool, drop them in, leave them for a couple minutes, and throw them out.

Have you tried giving them away to a lfs? It's better then killing them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think crushing them with something would be super quick. . o.O
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Place them in between a paper towel or newspaper so you don't see much and just smash them. It is the quickest way to do it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #5 
Chevko

... there isn't a better way to get rid of them? I've heard of people euthanizing fish, so..? The suggested ways make me almost think of cutting the head off a fish you want to put down =\
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's sounds gross, but if you think about it, you know 100% that the snail is dead within a flash. I mean putting it in something, it will still be alive for at least some seconds. But crushing is instant.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #7 
crowntaillove3

Would my local PetSmart take them? I don't want to kill them unless I have to. I know my PetCo won't...
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A local store would be more likely.
Or you could post an ad locally, if anyone owns puffer fish around you they would want pond snails.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #9 
Chevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It's sounds gross, but if you think about it, you know 100% that the snail is dead within a flash. I mean putting it in something, it will still be alive for at least some seconds. But crushing is instant.
What if one wanted to euthanize their pet snail because fish wouldn't stop picking at it and had no other place to put it or it was very ill already? Many people post about not being sure if their snail is dead or dying and then they might want to help it along. And I mean some of the larger ones, like half- to full-grown mysteries and apples? Even nerites would be rather shudder-inducing to take a hammer to. I know I wouldn't be able to just smush Honey. #1 that'd be soooo gross since she's the size of a kiwi right now.

((Sorry if I'm sounding like a female dog =\ It's a genuine concern. If I saw Honey or Castle looking like they're dying and not getting better, I'd want to move it along instead of prolonging it))

Edit: And also crowntaillove is talking about baby Mysteries, not ponds.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's really hard to say, invertebrates are so different from vertebrates, it's hard to apply the same principals. I've never heard of anyone euthanizing a snail/shrimp/crawdad at all. Looked it up and seems the only consensus is freezing them.