Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #1 
tngirl92

Tank Cycling Question

Hello all, I am cycling my 10 gallon tank. I have been going at this for about a month now. I started with a fish in cycle, but after less than a week, my betta was suffering from ammonia stress so I pulled him from the tank and have been attempting a fishless cycle since then. The tank stays a toasty 80 degrees and is filtered. I have three live plants in the tank. I am getting super impatient. I know these things take time, but until two days ago, I was not getting any nitrite or nitrate readings at all. I wanted to see if anyone can tell me if I'm on the right track or not and how close I might be to getting this tank cycled. It is becoming somewhat of an emergency, as I just adopted my first female. She is currently being housed with Dwarden3 until I get my two boys in their divided ten gallon, freeing up space in my smaller tanks.

I am a noob with the liquid test kit, but I think my ammonia is at either .5 or 1 ppm (down from the 2 ppm two days ago), nitrites look to be anywhere between 2 and 5 pp (way up from .25 ppm two days ago), and nitrates look to be slightly up from the 0 ppm it was two days ago, maybe about 3 ppm. Here are the pictures of my test results so you can see for yourself.

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:

Any advice for where I am in my cycle? What should I do from here on out? Any advice at all?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 
tngirl92

How long until ammonia gets to zero? *impatient pants*
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

The ammonia should be 2ppm-3ppm at the least.. That is the point for the fishless cycle, to have enough BB to eat the ammonia the total stock amount of fish produce. First you must add in more ammonia, I suggest doing a water change to keep the nitrite under 5ppm before you add in the ammonia.

You're drawing near the end of the cycle, but you're not there quite yet. Once the ammonia will decrease to 0ppm after a 4ppm dose the night before, the tank is ready. Make sure that the nitrite is also 0ppm, and there is nitrate <20ppm.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 
tngirl92

Ok, I did all that and will test again tonight. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
tngirl92

I think I am nearing the end of my cycle. Ammonia is at .5 ppm, nitrite has skyrocketed to 5 ppm, and I am finally seeing significant nitrate at 5 ppm.