Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #1 
deon9726

Betta questions!

Hey everyone i am new in the fish world and bought a betta with no experience with fish the person sold it to me in a little container and sold me a 2.50 dollar aquarium that was as big as a little cup i really didn't know better but i did extensive research and bought him alot of stuff i had my last 100 dollars and did my best i bought him a 5.5 gallon tank with a heater gravel and plants. The aquarium came with a filter and a light. He seems very happy i can really see the improvement in his behavior from when he was in the little cup. I set up the aquarium put some water conditioner in it and some anti fungal medicine but he was already healed when i put him in basically. The problem is now i did not cycle the aquarium because i did not know better now i feel pretty bad and i am kind of scared for my male betta. He has been in the tank for about 3 weeks and seems fine and when i put him in the tank i put a little of the water i had in the previous bowl. is there any pre cautions i should be taking or anything. I have just purchased some api aquarium salt and stress coat and some silk plants because the plants i have currently are plastic. i also bought him a battery powered gravel vacuum off of ebay for 8 dollars with a sponge bob pineapple house aquarium ornament hopefully he will like it and sleep in it. And last but not least i bought him a seachem alert combo pack which has this ammonia and ph detectors so i don't have to do the common strip tests and all of that. and i do have one more question should i buy filters for my tank i heard its a good idea to leave it until it falls apart. Well anyways i have been doing a 25 percent water change once every week. The water is looking kind of cloudy in there so i am not sure what that is. There is 2 products im considering buying tomorrow at pet smart which is API quick start and API stress zyme there are some other api products that look pretty good to purchase also can i get your opinions on
Bio Chem Zorb And The Algaefix im not sure if i really need those though.
So to break it down for everyone ill put the questions in sections thanks so much for reading this far just want the best for my fish.

1.Is it a big deal i did not cycle my fish tank because betta are hardy fish and i have stress coat from API and aquarium salt from API

2. If it is a big deal should i go buy the API quickstart and stress zyme those claim to really speed up your cycle and you can even have the fish in while you put it.

3. Why is my water so cloudy after i did a 25percent water change?

4. Do seachem ammonia detector and ph detectors work because that is what i have currently in my fish tank

5. Will my betta like his spongebob aquarium its in my tank right now and hes only been in it for a little.

6. My betta has been in the tank for about 3 weeks now is that a good sign at least?

Thank you so much for reading all of this your feedback means so much!

Last edited by deon9726; 07-23-2013 at 05:20 AM.
deon9726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon9726 View Post
Hey everyone i am new in the fish world and bought a betta with no experience with fish the person sold it to me in a little container and sold me a 2.50 dollar aquarium that was as big as a little cup i really didn't know better but i did extensive research and bought him alot of stuff i had my last 100 dollars and did my best i bought him a 5.5 gallon tank with a heater gravel and plants. The aquarium came with a filter and a light. He seems very happy i can really see the improvement in his behavior from when he was in the little cup. I set up the aquarium put some water conditioner in it and some anti fungal medicine but he was already healed when i put him in basically. The problem is now i did not cycle the aquarium because i did not know better now i feel pretty bad and i am kind of scared for my male betta. He has been in the tank for about 3 weeks and seems fine and when i put him in the tank i put a little of the water i had in the previous bowl. is there any pre cautions i should be taking or anything. I have just purchased some api aquarium salt and stress coat and some silk plants because the plants i have currently are plastic. i also bought him a battery powered gravel vacuum off of ebay for 8 dollars with a sponge bob pineapple house aquarium ornament hopefully he will like it and sleep in it. And last but not least i bought him a seachem alert combo pack which has this ammonia and ph detectors so i don't have to do the common strip tests and all of that. and i do have one more question should i buy filters for my tank i heard its a good idea to leave it until it falls apart. Well anyways i have been doing a 25 percent water change once every week. The water is looking kind of cloudy in there so i am not sure what that is. There is 2 products im considering buying tomorrow at pet smart which is API quick start and API stress zyme there are some other api products that look pretty good to purchase also can i get your opinions on
Bio Chem Zorb And The Algaefix im not sure if i really need those though.
So to break it down for everyone ill put the questions in sections thanks so much for reading this far just want the best for my fish.

1.Is it a big deal i did not cycle my fish tank because betta are hardy fish and i have stress coat from API and aquarium salt from API
You are doing what's called a fish IN cycle, it just happens when you add a fish & a filter to an aquarium. You need to see what your nitrItes & nitrAtes are. After 3 weeks you should have nitrItes which can be dangerous to your Betta. The aq salt is only needed, IMO, if you are treating for a specific illness. Bettas are "hardy" if they are kept in the right conditions. I don't use Stress Coat so I can't comment on that.
2. If it is a big deal should i go buy the API quickstart and stress zyme those claim to really speed up your cycle and you can even have the fish in while you put it.
This is a personal choice, most people have had success using Tetra Safe Start. You don't need Stress Zyme, IMO.
Cloudy water at this point is normal, its called a bacterial bloom & usually clears up within a week or two with water changes. You can & probably need to do more frequent water changes to get it too clear up quicker.
4. Do seachem ammonia detector and ph detectors work because that is what i have currently in my fish tank
I've heard mixed reviews. The Ph is not nearly as important as the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates which IMO you should be testing for daily with a liquid test kit at this point & doing a 50% +/- water change if ammonia or nitrItes are >.25 or nitrates >20.
5. Will my betta like his spongebob aquarium its in my tank right now and hes only been in it for a little.
If this is the one I think it is, there have been negative reviews about this particular decoration on this forum.
6. My betta has been in the tank for about 3 weeks now is that a good sign at least?
Not sure what you mean by this question. If he is active, eating, not clamped up & has good color then he is probably doing very well.
Thank you so much for reading all of this your feedback means so much!

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 
whiskandbowl

You are currently cycling with the "fish in method" I suggest reading the sticky about cycling with the fish-in method and following those instructions.

You could try using Quick Start if you want to speed your cycle along. I am wary of them though because when I used Tetra Safe Start, I got a HUGE ammonia spike. If you do use it, monitor your water parameters very carefully.

I would suggest using the money to buy a Master Freshwater test kit instead.

Your tank is trying to cycle and cloudy because of bacterial bloom

I've been wanting to try these! I have read mixed reviews. I don't think it will hurt to have them, but they shouldn't be a replacement for testing your water with a kit

I bet he will

I hope so! I would keep an eye out for clamped fins, tattered fins, and lethargy. They can be a sign of illness
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #4 
Laki

The spongebob dec everyone's talking negatively about is the pineapple with metal up in the inside top. OP, take it out next water change and look inside. The makers recently removed the metal for recirculation but if you got yours from ebay it might have metal springs/wires in it. If it does, send it back to the seller. Metal in a freshwater tank is bad news.

And all bettas are different, most like a hideout and the pineapple provides the perfect amount of cave and comfort.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 
JamieL

I don't know about the ammonia alert. I wish I had he receipt for mine so I could return it, I missed a water change and my ammonia was reading 1ppm on the liquid test chart, but the ammonia detector in the tank never changed. I don't understand because on the seachem website they say to hold it over an ammonia source (like a windex bottle), which I did and it changed immediately, but in my tank it's seemingly doing nothing. I wouldn't rely on it, I feel like I wasted $10.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote