Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #11 
tmariexo922

they are separated by a breeding box and he seems to not be as interested as he was previously. i rekon as long as the temp is the same she'll be okay but i wonder how long she has to stay @ that temp before i can let the water get back to room temp. im goin to the library tomorrow to see if i have any luck finding good resources.
tmariexo922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you have a separate tank/bowl for her with a heater? I think she'll be ok in the breeding box until you can get her into a heated container of her own.Again, I don't have any personal experience so I don't know if it would be ok to put her in water that is just room temperature or not. Looking it up is a great idea. People on this forum are really big on researching before breeding.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #13 
tmariexo922

She was definately ready to breed...

so...i separated my male and female and concluded it was a failure...i woke up, said g'morning, fed them and to my surprise i notice that my female has now expelled all her eggs in her tank and they are now lying on the bed of her tank....what a tease. haha...maybe i should have left them together one more day, what'd u think??
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats too bad that she released her eggs. I don't know if leaving her in there one more day would make a difference or not. Oh well, you can always try again.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #15 
Chicklet

The Water needs to be set at a constant 80F.
You will need a 10 gallon as the breeding tank and place the female in the middle.

Betta's natural matting environment is usually in brown water,
There is something in the water called tannins it sets the mating mood,
To get this in your water u can purchase "Indian Almond Leaves", But this can be hard to come by,
So you can use a tea bag to brown the water and to produce the tannins.

You also want to cut a styrafoam cup in half, from top to bottom not center around and put it on top of the water.
Then tape to the wall to prevent it from floating around the tank, you want it secure, This is to keep the bubble nest in place and make the male feel more secure with his nest.
If your going to use a filter use a sponge one and keep the current very low as to not disturb the nest.

Also to promote matting it sometimes helps to lower the water to about 6-8 inches, Of course this removes the chance of any filter being used.

If nothing happens after a couple of weeks try using another female.

Remember in a Betta's natural environment the water is shallow and still,
the male has to make a bubble nest before you even think of releasing her otherwise your just looking at a death match between the two.

Make sure your female is in a confined area like a vase, chimney, or a bottle and place it in the center of the tank.
The male needs constant sight of the female, he will strut his stuff and work on his nest, back and forth he will go,
If you use a divider this won't work so good as she can go to the opposite wall and discourages the male, He needs her up close and personal.

When You see the vertical strips appear on the female and her "pearl" is protruding out of her belly then she's ready.

Make sure there is a hiding place for the female, There is going to ba alot of harassing by the male and she will need a place to retreat and get a break,
This will go on for hours and you need to sit and watch the entire time or you risk loosing everything... Also make sure your female is much smaller then your male, He needs to be dominate not her, plus he needs to be able to wrap himself around here to release the eggs & spawn.
Be expected of the female to get ripped and nipped alot, Thats totally normal.

If the female looses her strips and its been gone for an hour take her out and keep her in the bottle for another 3 days and try again.
You gotta have lots of patients if your gonna try spawning betta's

Once the spawning is complete remove the female promptly as the male will see her as a threat to the nest, If you don't remove her quickly you risk loosing her and the bubble nest getting destroyed...
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #16 
tmariexo922

Thank you, that was very helpful to me. with all that being said...how do i go about water changes and adding water when the fry hatch? 6 in. doesnt seem like enough...i also have live plants and snails in this 10 gal tank. oh and i have a Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter (with the biobag), if you know anything about filters...will that stir up the water too much, i haven't set it up yet. by the way...how long have you been breeding bettas?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #17 
Nataku

Six inches is how shallow it needs to be when the fry hatch because they are small, and it is difficult for them to get from the bottom of the tank (where they will spend a lot of time lying around for the first week or so) up to the top of the tank to breathe. If the water is too deep they will not be able to make it to the surface without tiring out, so they just won't, their labyrinth organs won't properly develop, and they will die. After around five to six weeks you will be able to start raising the water level back up until the tank is full.
And yes, this doesn't leave much space for the fry until then - hence why a 20 gallon long is often more recommended for breeding. It will still give the fry a lot more room even when the water depth is only six
inches.

Water changes - verrrryyyyy carefully. And a lot of it with a turkey baster. Baby bettas seem to have some strange fascination with the tip of a suction tube or a turkey baster, so you must be very careful when cleaning the tank, as normally once a fry gets sucked up, you can pretty much write it off as dead, they are generally too traumatized after that to live. Also bear in mind the fry aren't really strong swimmers, so they can't fight against the pull of the suction tube very well.

Can't say I' use those filters, so I have no idea how much flow they create. But you will want as minimal a current as you can get when dealing with the fry, adult bettas don't fare well in a current, baby bettas are even worse.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #18 
crowntail lover

What is the styro foam cup used for??? tp keep the nest together or?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

The styrofoam cup is used for the male to build his nest under.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #20 
crowntail lover

Thats what I was thinking.
But my book said nothing about this.....so...
I will still use this
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote