Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #1 
fido

Betta Not Eating

I got my betta fish about a two weeks ago, and he has not been eating ever since i got him. He has been moved around a lot, but seems to be very happy in his home and is swimming and playing. I was feeding him pellets, but after about a week of him not eating them I went back to the petstore. They told me to get freeze dried bloodworms, so I did. However, he is still not eating these, or he eats them and spits them back up. Any suggestions?
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #2 
FishGirl

It is possible that he's eating something. Many fish spit out what they don't want and eat other pieces.

The first question I would have for you though is what temperature is he kept at and what type of living environment do you keep him in?
FishGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #3 
fido

It is possible he's eating something...I guess. But it doesn't seem like much of anything.

His water temp. is around 80 and he lives in a 5 gallon tank
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #4 
FishGirl

He should be happy given the nice home you've got him in. If he's acting okay, not depressed, I would assume he's getting what he needs. My betta loves bloodworms, especially the frozen ones so you're feeding him the right foods. They really don't eat much. Two small feedings per day should be all he needs and not very much food at that.
FishGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Two to three pellets twice a day is what most people feed theirs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 
fido

I've tried pellets and he doesn't eat them-at all. I've tried bloodworms and he hasn't eaten them-maybe he ate one one day. Now, I tried flakes only because I've heard some betta's are really picky and to feed them what they are fed at the store. However, none of this has worked. He seems to be a little less active today, but the people at the pet store think he gets stressed out easily and is adjusting to his new home. He likes to hide by the filter. I just don't know what's wrong with him.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may be that he's still adjusting to his new home. Just keep offering the pellets and when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #8 
plessans

Is he bumping into objects? If he is then he might not be able to see the food.
plessans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #9 
TianTian

You know, Tian-Tian didn't have an appetite for almost a whole week. Only the past few days he's started accepting food again, only one pellet a day. I've just been patient and offering him food every day. I usually feed him 3 pellets, so just be patient. When your Betta is ready to eat, he'll eat. :)
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote