Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 
Kiery

Looking for specific betta home/better home for my betas

Does anyone have info on a 5 gallon tank (with filter and light) that is divided for my male and female betta. Not thrilled with getting them two tanks. We have the 2.5 gallon Aqueon now. But I think they'll live longer and do better with at least a 5 gallon. Can't seem to find one anywhere on the web. Would prefer not to "build" my own- don't really trust myself to cut and customize a divider. Sounding a little picky here, but they are used to seeing each other and like the company, so would like a similar see through divider as the aqueon 2.5 gallon tank. Thanks in advance for the advice. You all are the best helpers!!
Kiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

It isn't wise to have a clear divider for a male ad female to have in a tank together. They will constantly flare at each other which can stress them out. A 10 gallon tank would be better for them if you can afford it with a divider. Do you have a heater? If not a link is posted below of a good heater.

Here is a great 10 gallon tank for cheap: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Here is a divider for the 10 gallon: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3742975

Here is a heater that isn't too expensive but not cheap either: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #3 
hopeful fish

You can make your own divider out of plastic mesh and binders.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-divider-...13.html?cat=53

As long as you do it safely and make sure nobody can get through it, they can be wonderful!
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #4 
Kiery

My male Betta does not flare at the female much, if at all. They seem to have meetings, canoodle and to be happy to have someone else to look at. Both are very social and want attention from us. Just a little bummed out that they don't sell a 5 gallon or 10 gallon like the Aqueon one we have. So thank you all for the suggestions, which I will have to look into.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think you're going to have to purchase your 5g tank & then either purchase or make a divider based on the dimensions of the tank. I personally love the Top Fin 5.5g tank from Petsmart. There are a lot of dividers to choose from on Amazon.com. I've not done the divided tank but there are lots of people on this forum who do & there have been many threads discussing them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #6 
Kiery

Thanks for the tank rec!!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 
Sylverlilly

I also have top fin 5.5 gallon tank and it's really nice. Some people don't like top fin products but the tank seems great to me at least and was affordable. It has carbon filter though which maybe some people don't love? But I guess you could buy a new filter if it bothered you a lot.
Sylverlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlilly View Post
I also have top fin 5.5 gallon tank and it's really nice. Some people don't like top fin products but the tank seems great to me at least and was affordable. It has carbon filter though which maybe some people don't love? But I guess you could buy a new filter if it bothered you a lot.
When I used the filter I replaced the cartridge with sponge, lasts much longer & carbon isn't needed. I have since replaced the HOB with a sponge filter which I like even better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote