Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 
karenluvsbettas623

what is the process of sending bettas to show?

First how do you sing up.Who receives them, how long after receiving are they set up? A betta that is stressed from shipping will not show full colors so how does that work? how much does it cost? who will ship them back?
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Karen you have so much questions! That's very good. However, I believe you must be a member of IBC to show fish in their chapters. If you are a member, I believe the information can be found on "FLARE!" or betterbettas.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #3 
shannonpwns

Have you checked out their website?

http://ibcbettas.org/

I think you need to be a member to gain all of that information, or maybe you can poke around on their forum.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 
Riverotter

Actually, it would be wonderful if someone who IS a member would chime in here and answer. It would be even better if how to show, classes, and standards were publicly available on the site.

Why all the secrecy?? It drives people away. I don't want to pay a membership fee to find out if this is something that is doable for me, and has goals I would like to meet. What if it's not?
No one is asking for access to all the club's info for nothing, but I've seen the questions over and over again of HOW does one show and WHAT can one show. Every club from 4H to the AKC to RPSI puts that info out there and doesn't suffer for it, so maybe someone could answer this for Karen and others, please?
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

All that can be found in the IBC "handbook" which is available in several places online. There is a link to it on the FB page Central Florida Betta Page.
An entry sheet can be found on the IBC site on the upcoming events page under "forms". You don't have to be a member to access that.
I did join the IBC but I can tell you I can't even find the standards handbook on their site, lol. I don't know if I have to ask for it or if it's hiding....
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

OK. I had actually forgotten this from last year. I think the IBC does most of their work from the Yahoo group "BetterBettas". You have to join the IBC in order to have access to the group. Everything you ever wanted to know is listed the the group files including the standards that you can download.

It would make more sense IMHO to have this on the main website but I think the website is fairly new and perhaps all the info hasn't made it there yet.

The information is out there for free. Just not all in one place so you have to do the leg work. Honestly, the $20 for membership is worth the information alone.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #7 
karenluvsbettas623

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Karen you have so much questions! That's very good. However, I believe you must be a member of IBC to show fish in their chapters. If you are a member, I believe the information can be found on "FLARE!" or betterbettas.
I don't have anything to show, I haven't bred any bettas yet and probably won't for a long time, I was just curious because I just received some bettas that I bought online trough the mail. Lets just say that they did not arrive in their best condition possible, which is understandable. I was just curious to know how people can ship their bettas off to a show and how they can arrive in prime condition to be shown.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #8 
karenluvsbettas623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
Actually, it would be wonderful if someone who IS a member would chime in here and answer. It would be even better if how to show, classes, and standards were publicly available on the site.

Why all the secrecy?? It drives people away. I don't want to pay a membership fee to find out if this is something that is doable for me, and has goals I would like to meet. What if it's not?
No one is asking for access to all the club's info for nothing, but I've seen the questions over and over again of HOW does one show and WHAT can one show. Every club from 4H to the AKC to RPSI puts that info out there and doesn't suffer for it, so maybe someone could answer this for Karen and others, please?
I didn't know there was all this secrecy going on. I think I asked pretty basic questions, like who receives them and who ships them back. I don't even have any bettas to show, why do I need to pay a membership fee to get this info?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 
whatsupyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenluvsbettas623 View Post
I don't have anything to show, I haven't bred any bettas yet and probably won't for a long time, I was just curious because I just received some bettas that I bought online trough the mail. Lets just say that they did not arrive in their best condition possible, which is understandable. I was just curious to know how people can ship their bettas off to a show and how they can arrive in prime condition to be shown.
Oh okay. Most bettas sent to shows are/should be conditioned to be at their peaking prime. The bettas you receive or sent out to buyers are mostly for pets/breeding, so maybe not condition as well. In short for showing fish, you need to know the type of betta and their color class. Then fill out a form and ship the fish. There are a few ways to ship it out and ship it back. That's about it. :)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #10 
whatsupyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post

I'm not sure if there is any secrecy going on lol. But I just asked the group to see if it's okay, just want to be on the safe side since I did not read their copy right/fine print information and stuffs lol.