Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #21 
GhostFeather

For the price of a membership,you years of expertise in on spot,even if you don't show!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #22 
Basement Bettas

And you get access to the top breeders. We hang out in a few places.. but a question posed there [on their yahoo group] gets answered by many of the people that have been doing this for years. Chances are they have seen your issue and can help. THAT experience alone is worth the membership fee.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #23 
whatsupyall

Not to mention the free bettas you will get from members! :)
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #24 
GhostFeather

BB is right!
I have asked a question and 10 or more answers by the next day.
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #25 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Not to mention the free bettas you will get from members! :)
Not always. The betta pals program is going to be overhauled. too many people with their hands out looking for free fish. The intent behind that program is to get quality fish in the hands of people that want to show.. a few ended up for sale and others were just to get. No intention of the people that got them ever wanting to show. I'm sure there will be a waiting period and an expressed interest to show to get free fish in the future. And since recipient has to pau shipping.. still out some $$
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #26 
whatsupyall

Ouch, sorry guys lol, no free fish. :(
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #27 
karenluvsbettas623

Thanks basement bettas for the info and I will look into joining ibc in the future when I get serious about breeding.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #28 
Jayloo

If you can't afford a decent pair to create a spawn are you going to be able to afford to show? I mean, the fish themselves aren't so expensive... It's the shipping and feeding the live cultures and containers and isn't there an entry fee with each fish you choose to show? How much is that? Just saying, the free fish thing is kinda not thought all the way through...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #29 
Ilikebutterflies

I think the program is well thought out actually. First off, you may or may not get a show quality pair. Most likely not. The quality will far exceed what you can find at a pet store but you aren't going to get show stopping fry either. I think it would be wise to put a small price on the "donated" pair. Just enough to make it not profitable to sell them. The beauty of the program is that you get a hand picked pair that isn't going to result in a mess.
Now, I do think that once fish are donated...they are donated and the breeder can't get in a tizzy about what happens to the pair. Maybe the new breeder changed their mind. Maybe something popped up and now isn't the time to breed so the pair must be re-homed. That's why there should be a low price on the pair IMHO.

It's not all about the money of being able to afford good stock. It's like they say in horses...the purchase price is the LEAST of your expenses. It is about making breeding easy for new breeders in order to attract more folks to the hobby. Did you know there are only about 400 members of IBC in the USA-at least that's what I gather according to the "member" list?
That is a very very very small percentage of the population. Only a fraction of those show...
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #30 
Basement Bettas

You may see 25 names with points in a show year. And showing can add up if you are chasing points. But for fun sending a few fish to a show is no that bad. Problem comes when you win a class or two.. and you get hooked.. lol