Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #1 
Kiery

How did our Male/Female Bettas Switch Sides in tank??

Does anyone have a theory how in the world our female and male, Sparkle and Twilight, in a divided tank switched sides? We left in the morning and when we came home in the afternoon, they were on the opposite sides of their gate in their tank. These two have unbelievable personalities, "attend" family meetings, and have "conversations" together, etc. But this topped the cake. I could see him jumping into her side, but her getting over to his side- We are baffled. They are about 3 months "old" (or at least that's when we bought them from the store).
Kiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 
quietlythundering

First off-are you a MLP: FIM fan? Because if you are, she's my favorite pony
Secondly, animals can be surprisingly adept at squeezing through small spaces, fish included. I wouldn't be surprised if your girl managed to get through what we would see as an impossibly small space to try to get through to the other side. It's happened lots of us at some point Unless someone's pranking you guys! Though I'd try to fortify the barrier more, cause they might hurt each other, and even breeders who have lots of experience with bettas know that there's always the risk that the male will turn on the female, even during the breeding process.

Last edited by quietlythundering; 07-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 
Kiery

Help me with the abbreviations!

Such a newbie...is there a glossary? If not, what are the acronyms you posted? Thanks for the response. Still stunned they swapped (especially him).
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

MLP:FIM is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic....yes I'm a fan too haha. Fluttershy is my fav.

Perhaps one jumped to the other side, possibly the male, and to get away from him, the female jumped over to the other side too lol.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #5 
quietlythundering

*extends arm for a brohoof!* /)

That's also a plausible situation. Truth tends to be stranger than fiction. How big is their tank, and what are you using as a barrier? In those reaally little ones, the kind they tend to sell as "made especially for bettas!" (you know with the plastic wall barrier that can be removed?) I've heard that those can fail, or a really determined fish can jump it. For bigger tanks (5-10 gallon ones), most people like to use craft mesh, and as long as it's properly installed, it's impregnable (for the most part-there's always those determined few who manage to jump!)
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 
Kiery

Thanks for your responses

Thanks to you both. I think that you must be right. We do have that tank with the gate with slots to see through. We may have filled the water when cleaning tank a tiny bit higher than usual, allowing our male better conditions for jumping over (or seeing that he could). Just a little worried he scared the B'Jesus out of her. Does he like her or does he want to be mean to her? They always seem to be canoodling at the gate, but it just seemed weird to me she could get away (but thank goodness she did). Thanks again for the info.:-
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #7 
jesssan2442

I wouldn't say the boy likes her or wants to be mean to her it's just his natural instincts to breed... If the boy has long fins they could have slowed him down leaving time for the girl to jump the divider... If this happens alot you may want to consider getting seperate tanks for them!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #8 
Kiery

Good Point

Yes, if it happens again, it would be a good idea to separate them. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Or perhaps, she jumped first and was aggressive and he jumped to get away. It is possible, my friend's son tried to breed Betta fish a few years back and the female always ended up seriously injuring or killing the male.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #10 
tlatch89

Maybe someone did it in purpose as a joke?
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote