Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 
Rjlupin

What kind of betta?

I bought this betta about a month ago, but (it's a long story) my friend was going to give me a tank to keep him in, and long story short, he was in a small 1 gallon tank for a while, now he's in a 10 gallon. The top part of his caudal fin got torn in the moving process, but I've been monitoring him very closely, and the only change I've seen in his fin is clear fin-like material growing out from the injury, which I assume is his fin growing back. Anywho-, here are some photos, before and after the injury. Can anyone tell me what kind of betta this little guy is? He's also missing a scale in one photo. He's kind of an energetic swimmer, and I thought I was careful about tank decoration, but I had to re-evaluate. I have no idea what he did to himself.

recent photos:

http://i.imgur.com/esrT066.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xUbU6a6.jpg (missing scale)

from before injury in the smaller tank:

http://i.imgur.com/eJXzVBe.jpg
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 
SerenaRena
Banned

By guessing I'd say its' a delta
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #3 
Kalari32

To know what tail type he is, you will need to post photos of him flaring. He could be a delta, super delta, or halfmoon, but that can only be decided when he is flaring.
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

He is either a delta tail, superdelta, or a halfmoon. I can't tell you for sure if he is a halfmoon without a picture of him flaring, but he seems to have a fairly wide spread. If he flares and his tail spreads out to 180 degrees, he is a halfmoon. If slightly less, he is a superdelta tail. If less than that, he is a delta.

He is nice looking guy. Don't worry, his tail will grow back in time. Just keep his water clean and his tank free of any sharp decor that could tear his fins.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #5 
Rjlupin

I'm new to betta-keeping. I almost preferred him in the smaller tank so I could keep a better eye on him. He's just so curious and I'm scared he'll get himself stuck somewhere I didn't anticipate. Anything I can do for his missing scale? Is that normal? I'm a freaking out new fish mom.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Oh my isn't he a handsome little guy! Reminds me quite a bit of one of my own, though your guy has much fuller finnage!

Its hard to say for sure without a picture of him flaring and showing off his full spread, like mentioned previously, but to me he looks like he'd be a Super Delta.

I can see what you mean by the damage though, looks like hes taken a few nips out of his tail which isn't at all uncommon with bettas who have fuller finnage, especially if they're a particularly super active fish. Over time their fins gets heavy and they just get tired of it and take some nips. But yes, clear/whitish ends is new regrowth so thats fantastic! Just keep doing what you're doing! ;)

Don't worry to much about the missing scale by the way, it will heal and grow back with some time. My boys occasionally loose a scale here and there randomly, so I'd say its not an uncommon occurrence. :)
And if you're really worried about him getting stuck somewhere, if you have anything in his tank with small holes you can always plug them up with a bit of filter sponge. Other then that, just make sure his decor is nice and smooth, and keep things a distance enough from the sides of the tank that he can't wiggle himself in and get stuck. ;)

Last edited by DragonFish; 07-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #7 
karenluvsbettas623

He looks like a super delta or halfmoon. Real nice colors, he is going to be stunning when he grows back those fins.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #8 
Rjlupin

:'( thank you for responding, guys, I've only had him in my care for a week, and I'm freaking out. I just did a 50% water change, so hopefully that should keep things nice and clear for him. I plan on getting some live plants for him to chill in this weekend, so hopefully that will help keep everything cleaner and give him more to do. (in case he's a tail biter) (I've been doing a 15% water change every other day, and I was going to do a 75% later this week, but I don't know what's too much changing and not enough changing.)
Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Aww, don't freak out too much! Your little guy looks very happy and healthy, you're doing a fantastic job so far. :) And for any concerns or questions you may have, we here on the forum are always happy to help out in any way we can!

Live plants are a fantastic idea. Have you checked out the section of the forum dedicated to all things live plant-related? Its really quite fantastic, a TON of great live plant information in the stickies and in the threads posted! Definitely worth heading over and doing a little reading there if you haven't already.

Ah, so the tank is very new and recently set up then. Well you've got the right idea preforming frequent water changes! Your tank is going through the Cycling process at the moment, and I'm not sure how familiar you are with that so I'll post some helpful links with a lot of info on Cycling and Water Chemistry. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and invest in a water testing kit. I'd recommend the API Liquid brand, the testing strips tend to be rather inaccurate and actually in the long-term is much cheaper to pick up one full Liquid kit anyway.
Heres some links about cycling and such:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #10 
Rjlupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Aww, don't freak out too much! Your little guy looks very happy and healthy, you're doing a fantastic job so far. :) And for any concerns or questions you may have, we here on the forum are always happy to help out in any way we can!

Live plants are a fantastic idea. Have you checked out the section of the forum dedicated to all things live plant-related? Its really quite fantastic, a TON of great live plant information in the stickies and in the threads posted! Definitely worth heading over and doing a little reading there if you haven't already.

Ah, so the tank is very new and recently set up then. Well you've got the right idea preforming frequent water changes! Your tank is going through the Cycling process at the moment, and I'm not sure how familiar you are with that so I'll post some helpful links with a lot of info on Cycling and Water Chemistry. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and invest in a water testing kit. I'd recommend the API Liquid brand, the testing strips tend to be rather inaccurate and actually in the long-term is much cheaper to pick up one full Liquid kit anyway.
Heres some links about cycling and such:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
I've done a lot of reading on cycling, and the tank itself isn't actually new. The tank housed 4 tetras and 2 upsidedown catfish for about 2 years before my friend moved out and gave away her fish. I asked her to keep the tank cycled for me so I could move a new betta in. He's been living in that tank for about a week and a half before I got him from her. (We're close friends, and since it was her tank and her fish, I let her keep Remus while she found a new home for her tetras. We were at petco and saw Remus, and he was the prettiest, most energetic betta I'd ever seen... so we had to buy him, naturally.) It's a long story, but the tank is already cycled. I think. I don't have the monitoring equipment to check, but just in case I've been doing frequent water changes and I haven't replaced the bio filter or any gravel.