Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #11 
mamapugs

thank you, I saw the mystery disease thread already, which initiated my desire to post photos.

could it be ammonia burns from when he was in the vase?

also, what is the white ring around his eyes that appeared overnight? what do I treat that with?
mamapugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #12 
mamapugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari32 View Post
I'm not sure what it is, but look at this forum http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

It could be the mystery disease, but I'm thinking its from the high ammonia
thank you, I saw the mystery disease thread already, which initiated my desire to post photos.

could it be ammonia burns from when he was in the vase?

also, what is the white ring around his eyes that appeared overnight? what do I treat that with?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #13 
TankDiveGirl

Personally, i would not treat him for anything else at all at this time. Just keep him warm and do many water changes. Heat and clean water do wonders for bettas feeling poorly.
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi mamapugs and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your big guy isn't feeling well. I suspect much of his problem is due to the high ammonia. Jeaninel gave good advice when she suggested doing water changes to reduce the levels. Carbon, unfortunately, doesn't reduce ammonia so putting it back in probably didn't help much and it did take out the meds. That's okay, because tetracycline actually won't help either. It's a gram positive antibiotic and almost all of the bacterial infections fish get are gram negative. Right now, I'm not sure you need an antibiotic so we can hold off on buying any more expensive meds for now. :)

To treat his ammonia burns and poisoning, first keep doing water changes until the ammonia level is below 0.25. Then, add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon to his tank to help with his electrolyte balance and his osmotic processes. This will also help stimulate his slime coat which will soothe him and protect him from infection. You can also add API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector to the tank.

Do you know why the levels got so high? Was it just because you were on vacation and didn't have a chance to change the water or has he always had higher ammonia levels? You may have ammonia in your tap water, if this is the case. If you continue to have high ammonia levels even though you are doing regular water changes, you might want to switch the carbon insert in your filter to a zeolite insert. If you can - some filter cartridges don't allow that.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #15 
mamapugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi mamapugs and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your big guy isn't feeling well. I suspect much of his problem is due to the high ammonia. Jeaninel gave good advice when she suggested doing water changes to reduce the levels. Carbon, unfortunately, doesn't reduce ammonia so putting it back in probably didn't help much and it did take out the meds. That's okay, because tetracycline actually won't help either. It's a gram positive antibiotic and almost all of the bacterial infections fish get are gram negative. Right now, I'm not sure you need an antibiotic so we can hold off on buying any more expensive meds for now. :)

To treat his ammonia burns and poisoning, first keep doing water changes until the ammonia level is below 0.25. Then, add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon to his tank to help with his electrolyte balance and his osmotic processes. This will also help stimulate his slime coat which will soothe him and protect him from infection. You can also add API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector to the tank.

Do you know why the levels got so high? Was it just because you were on vacation and didn't have a chance to change the water or has he always had higher ammonia levels? You may have ammonia in your tap water, if this is the case. If you continue to have high ammonia levels even though you are doing regular water changes, you might want to switch the carbon insert in your filter to a zeolite insert. If you can - some filter cartridges don't allow that.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sakura- Thank you for your response. I have his levels down to .5 and will keep doing so until I get it as close to as I can. I bought some aquarium salts and the food recommended in another reply- omega one betta buffet pellets . I have tested my water and found no ammonia but since you asked I am going to test it again. I add 12 drops per gallon of stress coat to the water. I also have stress zyme, both API products

I have been concerned I am overdoing it with things, and I am going to take your advice about the meds but I am concerned about the white ring around both eyes that popped up since yesterday.

As for his history to ammonia exposure, he's had it rough the past few months since he's been in my care. He's about 2 years old now and after a recent break up, I took Big Blue with me. I didn't think he liked being bullied by the other Betta we had in the same 10 gal tank, even though they were separated by a screen. The other fish, Red Bull, would often break through and bite Big Blue. So my intention was to "save him". But that is not what I did to him. He was exposed to water with high ammonia levels for a considerable amount of time, maybe a couple weeks at least. I had him in a vase with a plant at the top. I didn't do the correct research and had his vase next to a window, thinking it would be good for the plant. I didn't do water changes I just added water to the vase and the level diminished. It grew algae. It got cloudy and I did some research to find out that I was slowly killing the poor guy. Once I realized what I had allowed to happen, I put him in a small tank and purchased a .5 gal tank with carbon filter. I then treated him for velvet and he showed signs of improvement and his color came back, but not all the way, his head is still dark. The red in his gills improved and luckily he's never lost his appetite through all of this. I thought maybe he has developed the pop eye and needs treatment for this. Is it ok to hold off or can it get worse?

I had the levels down previous to the velvet treatment but I used strips so maybe it wasn't accurate. I have now purchased the kit for testing water with test tube solutions... Then I didn't change the water after I treated him with the Maracide and then went on vacation to find it at 2.0 ppm.

Lesson learned about the water changes... But, I hope I can "save him" for real now, I feel terrible. My ignorance is embarrassing since I am the kinda person that doesn't even like to kill bugs, even though I fear them.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #16 
mamapugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDiveGirl View Post
Personally, i would not treat him for anything else at all at this time. Just keep him warm and do many water changes. Heat and clean water do wonders for bettas feeling poorly.
what is the highest I can make it?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #17 
TankDiveGirl

they should be kept at 80 degrees or more constantly.
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Mamapugs, don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes happen and what's important is that you care so much about Big Blue. :)

The white rings around his eyes could be excess slime coat buildup or possibly popeye as you suspect. If that's the case, then popeye infections are actually the one thing tetracycline WILL treat so it's good you have it on hand. If you did want to continue treating with the tetracycline, you could, but you'd just have to take the carbon back out.

As for the Stress Coat and Stress Zyme, those are fine to keep using. The only things we always want to be careful about overusing are medications, especially antibiotics because too much use causes the bacteria to build up resistances.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #19 
mamapugs

thanks to everyone who answered.

@Sakura- I finally got his ammonia level down to .25 ppm. I am going to do another water change tomorrow but I think he should be left alone until tomorrow to avoid stressing him out too much more.

I would hope he's feeling some relief from the lower level and I will look at him in the morning and see if his eyes look worse or start to pop out/bulge.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #20 
Lotte

For temperature I recommend 78-80F, but it all depends on the betta. Some prefer higher temperatures while others prefer the former. If your temperature only stays at 80F that's fine to. I also agree with the advice given above by the others.

Good luck! I hope his condition improves.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote