Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #21 
RussellTheShihTzu

Welcome, Mamapugs. Sorry Big Blue is having so many problems.

If you haven't already, read the sticky on tank cycling. Since you've only had him in the tank for three weeks, your tank hasn't cycled yet so you can expect ammonia and then nitrite spikes. When those two start going down and the tank develops nitrates you're almost done.

Until then, keep up the daily or every other day water changes.

Hope Big Blue is feeling better soon.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #22 
mamapugs

Thank u Russell - will do!
mamapugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #23 
mamapugs

Now he's developed a "prolapsed rectum". Yesterday I switched him to the Omega One Betta Buffet and for one feeding days ago he had some tropical flakes that came with the tank. He's been eating dried blood worms until the recent switch. I fed him one pellet just a moment ago and noticed the "poop" was still hanging out, so I looked it up. Will tetracycline work for this? I am about to look it up myself but figured i would post something asap and see if anyone had any input on how to deal with this.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #24 
mamapugs

ok this is wild but... after i posted my reply and checked on my fish, the "poop" was gone! I know it was there since last night... very hopeful this is all good signs. He even looks a little happier. still monitoring him very closely and performing water changes. Assuming he makes it through all this, I am going to do daily water changes if I have to, to keep him from being exposed to any ammonia. he deserves extra tlc since i about killed the dude.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #25 
ANHEL123

No do not use any medications for that problem. The medications are really stressful for fish and also bad for the kidneys. I would wait and see it it will pass by itself. Also i am wondering if frozen daphnia would help ? Try that.
How he doing?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #26 
DragonFish

Hey there mamapugs. :) You've been getting some great advice so far, and from what I've read it sounds like your guy is doing much much better! Hes certainly a tough little guy, and very lucky to have someone who cares so much about him like you!
I just have a couple odd bits to contribute....

Rather then try and mess with establishing a cycle in your tank, I would recommend just removing the filter all together. Trying to establish a stable cycle in a tank under 5 gallons is very tricky and really isn't something you want to try for if you don't have previous experience cycling aquariums. With the filter running and a lack of regular water changes, this could have been the cause of, or at least contribute to if you have some ammonia in your tap(wasn't sure if you had tested that or not, have you?), the high ammonia levels as your tank was probably trying to start and go through a cycle.
At this point, I would personally suggest a full 100% water change in your tank. Take everything out, give everything a quick rinse, then set up the tank again with all fresh water and without the filter. Add your conditioner, then slowly acclimate your betta back into the fresh water. It sounds like your little guy has been through a lot of meds and treatments recently, at this point since he seems to be acting well and his velvet has cleared up, I think your best bet is just to keep him in warm, clean water and a little stress coat for now and see how he does. Warm, clean water can do quite a bit on its own, more then you might think. ;)

If you have no ammonia in your tap, a 100% change should get all that ammonia out and, since he is doing better, you could probably go down to 2 50% and 1 100% water change per week to maintain the water quality and just let him rest and heal and recover.
If you do have ammonia in your tap, you may want to, for the long term, consider a larger aquarium that you can establish and maintain a proper cycle in to deal with the ammonia.

I would also suggest picking up a different kind of conditioner by the way. I'm quite surprised no one seems to have suggested this(or perhaps I missed it?), but Seachem Prime will lock and detoxify ammonia for 24-28 hours as well as get out all kinds of other stuff that a conditioner like Stress Coat/Zyme won't, such as heavy metals. If you have Ammonia in your tap water this is going to be especially helpful.
Stress Coat/Zyme is still fine to use, its great in helping to promote healing and a healthy slime coat so it should be helpful in healing up those ammonia burns, but I wouldn't trust it as a sole conditioner to get all the nasties out.

And lets see....as a side note about both the rings around the eyes and the poo...
Poo can sometimes hang around for a little while, I see it happen every once in a while with my guys. So long as it appears to be a normal color(somewhere in the brownish range) and isn't long or white or stringy, and since it sounds like it did eventually fall off, I'd say thats fairly normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Now, the rings around the eyes....I could be wrong, but I think this is normal as well. I've had bettas who have either had this or developed this before, and it appears to just be something that happens sometimes. I can't say for sure what it is....could very well be a little excess slime coat....but its never bothered any of my guys or led to the development of popeye in my experience. Its just kind of....there.

Hopefully I could offer up something helpful! Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #27 
mamapugs

@dragonfish: thank you very much for your advice. my tap water contains no ammonia. I have gotten the ammonia level in the tank down btwn 0 and .25 ppm. Do you think it will be ok to wait a day or so to do the 100% water change? I want limit the amount of stress he is under. He's not as active, laying on the bottom mostly but he is interacting with me sometimes and hiding others. His white rings haven't progressed any and I am starting to think this poor guy is super stressed out and has been for quite some time. I will test his ammonia level again tonight as well as pH level.

My tap water is soft, any recommendations about what to do with that?

I am thinking about getting a 5 gal asap and establishing the water before i move him. in the mean time, i am going to perform daily water changes.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #28 
mamapugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
No do not use any medications for that problem. The medications are really stressful for fish and also bad for the kidneys. I would wait and see it it will pass by itself. Also i am wondering if frozen daphnia would help ? Try that.
How he doing?
thanks anhel123! I will have to check on the frozen daphnia. He seems to be doing ok... not very active today but he's been through alot. trying to let him chill in his ammonia free habitat

thank you so much for your advice
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #29 
DragonFish

Since you've gotten the ammonia levels down, you can certainly go ahead and give him a day to rest before you preform the 100% water change, though I think the 100% is still a good idea, just to make sure you're getting out any lingering medications and whatnot.

He probably is quite stressed, hes been through quite an ordeal! But he also sounds like a very tough little guy, I'm sure he'll pull through with some time and TLC. ;)

My recommendation for the PH and water hardness is not to mess with it. Bettas tend to prefer water a little on the soft side, though they;re quite hardy captive-bred fish who can adapt to most any level. In most cases its always best to keep your PH stable rather then try messing with it, that can cause a whole lot more issues.

Once you've preformed the 100% water change, and since you have no ammonia in your water you shouldn't need to do daily water changes regularly....that might be a little too stressful, especially keeping up with that throughout the time it will take to cycle your 5 gallon once you get it. Instead, just go ahead and go down to 2 50%s and 1 100% per week(and remove the filter of course) with gravel vaccuming. This should keep things plenty clean, though if you're extra worried you can do an extra 50%-90% or so as well during the week, but I think every day would be a tad excessive.

Here are some helpful links on cycling by the way if you haven't already found and read them, these should help with your future 5 gallon plans:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

Also, something I forgot to mention...
I would suggest probably looking into picking up a heater anyway, even if his tank seems to be keeping at a stable temperature now, without a heater to maintain that temp it could easily start fluctuating at any time. Though its summer and things are pretty warm and generally on the stable side, temperatures can fluctuate from night-day quite a bit, and once winter roles around thats going to get more drastic, colder, and less stable. Fluctuations can be quite stressful and compromise the immune system, so usually even if only to be extra cautious in making sure things stay stable and within the proper 78-82 degree range is a good idea to have a heater year-round.
Look for a 25 watt, fully submersible, adjustable heater(stay clear of the 'present' ones...they're usually rather unreliable and break down pretty quick if they even work in the first place). Petco and Petsmart have a couple brands that run that size that should do just fine, though if ordering online is an option Amazon has the Hydor Theo which is a few bucks less then what you'll find in-store and comes very highly recommended.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote