Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 
BettaBelle983

Smile Undergravel filters?

I would like to know your opinions on undergravel filters in betta tanks? I've been reading some things that say its to strong and sucks up the betta or it collects gunk and is hard to clean. So I would just like your opinions because I'm eyeing what I think is a 2 gallon tank at PetsMart for $22.00. I'm also looking at a 3 gallon.

Thanks,
BettaBelle983
BettaBelle983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Personally? I actually hate Under Gravel filters. Though this mostly comes from working in a pet store and having to help maintain 200+ 20+ gallon aquariums all with UGFs, over all I personally don't feel like they really get the job done quite as easily or efficiently as a biological filter. Theres just a lot more cons(gunk getting stuck underneath, gravel getting stuck underneath and in the tube, the current being rather strong without a good way to baffle in the case of a betta tank, a lack material and surface area for Beneficial Bacteria to colonize in...its all in your gravel, as opposed to your filter media AND your gravel)to a UGF then pros if you ask me.

You could still get the tank if it appeals to you and remove the UGF from it all together. In a tank that size(junder 5 gallons)since a cycle is rather difficult to establish and hold stable, generally its best to just go without a filter all together anyway and preform a couple more water changes per week. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 
shellieca

I've never had a UGF but from what I've read they are a pain in the hiney. I'm with Dragonfish, trash it & get a different kind such as sponge filter or just do without on a tank that size.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 
TankDiveGirl

Hate them! Get a hang on back filter and baffle it or get a sponge filter.
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #5 
BettaBelle983

Thank you all. If I decide to go with that tank I'll remove the filter.

BettaBelle983
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 
BettaBelle983

I wouldn't be hashing out a new tank if parts of my current tank hadn't decided to disappear. I'm so irritated over it.

BettaBelle983
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #8 
BettaBelle983

Red face

I managed to find all the parts to my tank so all I need now is tubing, air stone, check valve, fish and food. I stashed my pump in a dresser drawer and the power cord was in the box I was storing everything in. I just didn't get it pushed in far enough for the lights to come on brightly.

BettaBelle983
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
NorthernLights

UGF's get a bad rap that they do not deserve. Sponge filters and UGF's work by the exact same method, it's just that the gravel serves the same function as the sponge. They both provide mechanical and biological filtration because of the beneficial bacteria that grow either in the sponge or on the gravel itself. I have read that there is a way to make them perform chemical filteration as well (something like putting a carbon cartridge in the riser tube), but I have no experience with that.

One thing that UGF's do, probably better than any other filter kind, is circulate the water throughout the tank uniformly. That keeps the temp much more stable throughout the tank. That's why I really like them. Also, being an older tried-and-true technology, I feel they are very reliable and inexpensive.

In a very large tank, or with a lot of rooted plants, UGF's can be quite awkward. However, in a 2 or 3 gallon tank, it's pretty much a breeze.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

From what I have read about UGF's - the problems arrise when too much debris gets trapped in/under the gravel and and eventually sufficate the bacteria living in the gravel??

If it were me, I would skip the filter all together since the tank is under 5 gallons.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote