Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #1 
Taeanna
Reference Team

My little orange miracle

I just wanted to post the successes of one of my amazing boys whom some might recall my frantic calls for help some weeks ago in the illnesses thread.

While perusing my local fish store I noticed a very sorry young man, shriveled fins, bloated belly...and floating like a cork, flopped onto one side much to his distress. I was rather taken aback to be honest and being a rather quiet person I left, telling myself that I didn't have the tank space...but he kept haunting me.

It was his determination, in a tiny little decorative bowl with nothing in it, he was still swimming straight down with determination, he was going to touch the bottom if it killed him.

A call to my mum to convince me not to went the other way (I should have known better coming from my family...animals come before people in most cases) and soon I was in a taxi on my way home. I didn't even make a fuss at the store, even when I bought a gallon tank and a suction leaf and the lady rather condescendingly told me I at least needed food for him. I informed her I had the heater and proper provisions at home but that he would need a separate hospital tank...she didn't dare glance at the bag after the initial peer in to check, she knew darn well what I was saying.

This is my boy an hour after he was fully transferred into the tank and allowed to settle.
Name:  20-5-13 side.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  20-5-13 top.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  78.2 KB

After he survived the first night I decided the little fighter needed a name to help him along. so in the tradition of his two brothers Kaida and
Kenji I chose the name Kenta- 'he who is in good health'

Well its been a few weeks now, Epsom salts and clean water managed to alleviate the floating issues and an antibiotic course managed to shrink some of the belly swelling.
Hes now alert and crazy as anything. Still has a little barrel chest and one of his caudal fins points completely the wrong way, but the rest of his fins and scales are perfect.
I just wanted to share these pictures with people so they can share the joy. Hes here as much from all of your help and advice as he is from me being in the right place at the right time.

Taken before and during frozen bloodworm day :) getting him to hold still was a challenge.

Name:  kenta sleeping.jpg
Size:  41.5 KB
Name:  kenta still eating.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  kenta watching me.JPG
Size:  72.1 KB
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #2 
BettaFran

Good on ya! Beautiful guy who doubtless would have died without your intervention. Guess it's a match made in heaven. :)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

What a beautiful miracle! Great job on your doctoring skills.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
percyfyshshelley

Yay!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 
Lights106

He's amazing!!
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #6 
Lights106

P.s. I love the back of your tank. I've been thinking of modge podging the back of mine.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Thanks :) I change the tank decore drastically every week or two including the background in order to keep the place interesting, I would hate them to get bored. since its a 2 gallon its not particularly difficult to do. That was an art page I got from a scrapbooking kit, but wrapping paper and wallpaper pages work just as well.

As long as i don't use the star background, for some reason he hates stars lol
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #8 
Silverbeam

Wow, he's beautiful!
Silverbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9 
Lights106

Got to love those scrapbook pages! So weird that he hates stars.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #10 
Akuinnen

I'm so happy that there are people like you who take home bettas that probably wouldn't make it otherwise. He's looking so much better than in the first picture! It looks like he's very much on the right track, and I hope he keeps improving! :)
Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote