Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #11 
LucidSong

The only ones we have access to here that I know of are the Dwarf, Blues, Kissing, and Golds. But the Golds are at the ever aweful PetLand here next to the Wal-Mart we work at. I've had the "Fish Expert" tell me that the yellow water in their betta display had just been changed. So I don't shop there unless I REALLY have to.

Lilnaugrim: How do you sex them? I'm pretty good at telling them a part.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sexing them is especially hard since most of the females have had hormones injected to change over to males because males sell better. But mostly like any other fish; females are a very dull bluish color (for the Dwarf's mostly, not sure about other species), anal fin is rounded not pointed, stuff like that. But it's extremely rare to find a female in the Dwarf species and again I'm not certain about the other species of Gourami since I hadn't looked that far.

But like most other species it's best to have a ratio of 1:2 M:F if not more females because like Betta's, they will pick on each other and hurt each other. So I'd really just suggest have one of the Gourami's, that leaves more space for schoolers anyway which will make them happy as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #13 
LucidSong

Could you put in something like Mollies or Platys?
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Both yes but Mollies usually get up to about 5 inches so keep that in mind, they also like salt in their water which most other freshwater fish can't tolerate and while they'll be fine in regular freshwater, it just won't be optimal for them. Platy's you can definitely put in and the fry would probably just be snacks for your Gourami lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote