Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 
ArrowheadShark

Exclamation Potential Ich (white spot desiese/ick)

There are spots on mah fish.
Housing
What size is your tank? Ten gallons.
What temperature is your tank? In-tank glass thermometer reads 74 degrees Fahrenheit. Heater is unfortunately a pre-set thermostate one - I cannot alter the temp. It is submerged heater, at the back of the tank in the middle of the glass wall.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, a ATI Hydro sponge filter for up-to a ten gallon tank. Unfortunately, I got it when Shark was still in his three gallon, and the lift tube was too tall so we cut it down to fit by about half. Planning on going and buying a longer lift tube so it isn't so short anymore. (Speaking of which, does anyone have any advice on the sponge filters? I tried researching them and didn't come up with much more than opinions. What, exactly, does the lift tube do? Something about more water-pull, as the bubbles go through it?)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Bubbles come out of the sponge filter's lift tube.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Albino Bristle-Nosed sucker fish and a snail of unknown species. He came with a plant, only snail that came. He's about pea-sized now.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I have three types of food for him; Aqueon Betta Food, Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food, Biogold pellets, and Tetra freeze dried Bloodworms given as an occasional treat.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually twice daily; morning when I wake up, and about eight at night. Sometimes there's a snack in the middle of the day. I primarily feed the Aqua Culture(2-3 pellets), as it has the highest crude protein. Aqueon is generally the snack, since the pellets are so itty bitty bitty.

There is also the API Alge Eater tablets for Pleco, the suckerfish. (Yes. I named him Pleco. Sue me XD The name stuck, and he's so cute.)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once or twice weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Recently did a 25% one. Going back to 50% changes.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat and Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I use the API ammonia test kit. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002566TC <--That one. After I bought it, I read it's not so accurate apparently, especially since it shows a false positive because Prime (and/or stress coat?) converts Amonia to Ammonium, or something like that?

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Linda says his fins look a little more raggedy, I haven't noticed any difference. They are recovering from Tail biting/sea-shell incident.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not that I can assess. He still swims up to the glass when he sees someone, lazes about in his several plants, and swims around. Very active betta, I would say.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today(June 23rd) - a few tiny white dots on his body. Only about three or four of them, but I want to nip whatever it is in the bud before it gets worse.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not yet. /researching/ I plan upon doing the salt treatment, my only question was if it would harm the snail or Pleco?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail-biter when he was moved into my room where I'm staying for the summer. Moved him into the living room and the issue stopped, fins re-growing well. Curled over part of fin got ripped off when he swam under a sea-shell hide, about a week or two ago. Seashell hide is no more.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him sometime in May 2013.

Additional info: Pleco is a new tank-mate, added into the tank along with numerous plastic plants(soft ones - won't rip Shark's fins ;D I was so happy to have scored on them. AFFORDABLE PLANTS YAAAYYYYY *Flails* ;w; One of them is a silk grassy one, which Shark seems to love hiding behind/in >w<). No, I admit that I did not quarantine him. ;-;'

Shark also has one live plant in his cage, a small leafy one the name of which I forgot immediately after buying it T-T' merp.

I have Aquarium salt on hand - I do not have any other medications, though next pay-check from Hay-making I'll be working on getting a first-aid kit for Shark, as well as Sand substrate (I think it will be easier for cleaning, as well as look nicer).

Note on his fins - there are two little spots where the edge seems a bit darker, though the rest of his fins show a great amount of regrowth. Could this be fin rot starting in those spots?

Additional questions:
-Should I look at getting a different/another filter for his tank? I like the sponge one since it doesn't make a strong current.
-Any advice on feeding Pleco?
-How often do you recommend changing his water?

Thank you all so very much for your time and patience. I know that was a huge chunk of text, so kudos to any who read. I would rather provide more information than too-little; I hope it was adequate enough.

Again, thank-you ;-; this is by far my go-to sight for anything Betta-fish related. You guys are all so polite and helpful, and don't tear apart newbie fish-keepers and scare us from getting into them. Thank-you!
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #2 
BettaLover1313

If you can get a picture of him, that would really help us out.
Do the spots look like he's been sprinkled in salt? This is a picture of Ick from a thread I had before that someone posted in:
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #3 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
If you can get a picture of him, that would really help us out.
Do the spots look like he's been sprinkled in salt? This is a picture of Ick from a thread I had before that someone posted in:
Unfortunately, I can't get a good enough quality picture of him. He literally only has three or four of the little white flecks - he is not covered in them yet. Does Ick cover them very quickly? I would think it would start of with a few, and then grow? Or am I mistaken in this?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 
BettaLover1313

I'm not definite on how quickly Ick grows. Is your betta a dragonscale by chance? I got scared when I saw white spots on mine, but it turned out that it was just a trick of the light. If he's not, you can change at least half of the water and also slowly start raising the temperature to 85 F. Have you noticed if he's darting against his decorations or acting lethargic? (Sounds like he still has his appetite).
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
I'm not definite on how quickly Ick grows. Is your betta a dragonscale by chance? I got scared when I saw white spots on mine, but it turned out that it was just a trick of the light. If he's not, you can change at least half of the water and also slowly start raising the temperature to 85 F. Have you noticed if he's darting against his decorations or acting lethargic? (Sounds like he still has his appetite).
Dragonscale - As far as I am aware, he isn't. Solid sort of sea-weed colored body with a black-topped head and sunset-violet fins.

I can't change the temperature of the water; the heater I have currently is a pre-set one >_<

he definitely still has his appetite - he came rushing up to the surface when I hovered my finger over it. I haven't noticed him darting against décor, just hanging out in it like normal. I wouldn't say he's lethargic - swims over to the glass when anyone walks by or stops to look at the aquarium, I see him in different positions and places every time I go over, though a favorite is tucked up behind his fake grass hiding in or behind it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Well...if you don't want to start treating right away, just watch him for awhile and see if the spots get worse or not. Since you just noticed them today, I'd almost say wait a bit, especially if you're worried about the salt harming your other aquarium residences.

I'm sure someone else will post to help you out a bit more than I could...sorry I can't be of more help :/
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #7 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
Well...if you don't want to start treating right away, just watch him for awhile and see if the spots get worse or not. Since you just noticed them today, I'd almost say wait a bit, especially if you're worried about the salt harming your other aquarium residences.

I'm sure someone else will post to help you out a bit more than I could...sorry I can't be of more help :/
It's alright :'D Thank you for trying! I'm going to look up to see if it'll harm them at all. Either way, time for a water change, and I think I'm going to get rid of the gravel I really... don't like it. Asthetically and it gets so filthy with all the fish poop, and if Pleco doesn't eat his piece of algae tablet in time and I don't get it out in time. granted, that's only happened twice, but still. I want to get sand for the aquarium instead.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 
BettaLover1313

Yes, definitely do a water change, that will at least get rid of some of whatever's in the water that is on your fish.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #9 
ArrowheadShark

Just finishing up doing about a 75% water change @.@ Wooooowie this took a while! Shark, of course, is unhappily situated in his cup. Poor guy D': He's gotten better with the water changes, though - he used to go paper white when I took him out, now he keeps some of his color.

I put all of his rocks in boiled water, and rinsed off all of the plants real good. Speeding up bringing the water up-to-temp by heating water in the microwave and then adding it in (without fish, of course! o_o) Once everything is set up and ok, it'll be time to float the little buggers - Snail, Betta, Suckerfish and all. I've really gotten quite attached to that little snail. It's so cool watching him go from betta-pellet-sized to just-over-pea-sized in a few weeks OwO When he gets bigger, I'm going to try and figure out what type he is. He's really cute.

Oh, I also removed all the gravel. Aaaall of iiiitttt. S' what took the most time, actually o_O' specially because I separated the pond-rock-pebbles from the gravel. I wanted them separate. Shark's tank will be a little easier to clean, now, and later on I'll get ahold of some sand to put in it instead.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #10 
ArrowheadShark

Bingo! Looks like the water change and else did the trick - the little specks have vanished. I'll keep a close eye on him, now.

Thank-you!

Tags
ich, ick, sick, sick betta, white spot