Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 
veebee829

Betta ate fin/broke fin bone

Hi,
Today I was feeing my betta Zoomy and when he was eating he somehow bit his tail and got it stuck in his mouth. I am guessing he swallowed it on accident and started panicking hitting the edges of the tank and going crazy. His top fin was bent over the top of his head into his mouth. He finally got his fin loose but in the process the top of his fin looks shredded and was bloody. He also broke the top bone on his top fin (so it appears). After this happened he was really still and acted really wierd but now a few hours later is acting normal again. What should I do? Will he get an infection and die? One of his fin bones is borken! Can I do anything to help him?
Thanks!
veebee829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

pictures would help to give you the best advice we can
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 
veebee829

picture

This is hte best pic I can get because he moves so much
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Betta fish are notorious fin and tail biters. Unfortunately, this very thing happens all the time - though most of the time it is on purpose. My guess is since that it happened while he was eating his regular food, he wasn't expecting the pain and based on your description of his reaction, it hurt him - a lot.
The best thing you can do is keep his water warm and clean. Doing a treatment of aquarium salt (designed specifically for freshwater fish and meant to be used for 14 days Max) will also help keep it from getting infected and heal a little faster.
What size tank do you have? How often do you clean it? And what is the temperature?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 
alwaysaBettaLover

Awww...your poor betta....
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 
veebee829

I have a smaller tank of 1/2 a gallon. I got it at Petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I clean out the bottom (the excess food and wastes) everyday and do 2 water changes a week 3/4 of the tank. I feed him flakes 3 times a day Monday -Friday. I work at a hospital and unfortunately it gets pretty cold. I am not allowed to have a heater for him and am unsure of the temp.

I heard this was good for fins too and was going to pick this up after work:
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #7 
hopeful fish

You said you were not allowed to get a heater. Why is this? I really reccomend getting a heater. It will lower his risk of infection/disease. I have the hydor theo origional 25 watt. It has wonderful reviews, and so far it has been doing great in my ten gallon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Subm...=hydor+theo+25

Also, I really think you should get a better tank. It sounds like you are doing the frequent water changes needed in a tank that size, but having a bigger tank will make sure that the water parameters are much less likely to fluctuate in parameters like ammonia or nitrate and temperature. It will also give your fish more space, thus reducing stress (which is a cause of tail-biting).

Many people believe that a 2.5 gallon or even a 5.5 gallon, and sometimes even a ten gallon, should be the minimum tank size for a betta. A 5 gallon has a very small footprint if you are concerned about size, and it would be great for your fish.

Good luck!
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #8 
veebee829

I am not allowed to plug anything in or leave anything running at work. The fish was a gift for my bday from my co-workers and unfortunatly this is the largest tank that will fit at my desk. I cannot take the fish home because I have a cat! I try to make it up to him by buying different sceneries and changing out small props. I clean his cage with a pipet every day to so its squeaky clean!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by veebee829 View Post
I have a smaller tank of 1/2 a gallon. I got it at Petsmart.

I clean out the bottom (the excess food and wastes) everyday and do 2 water changes a week 3/4 of the tank. I feed him flakes 3 times a day Monday -Friday. I work at a hospital and unfortunately it gets pretty cold. I am not allowed to have a heater for him and am unsure of the temp.

I heard this was good for fins too and was going to pick this up after work:

Betta fish are tropical fish and need a minimum of 76 degrees to be healthy (warmer is better but not higher than about 82). His tail will not heal very fast in cold water, and he may get infected. Also, a 1/2 gallon is really too small for a Betta. The general rule for all fish is 1 gallon Minimum for every inch of fish. Betta fish generally get to be 2 to 2 1/2 inches long, so you would need a 2.5 gallon minimum tank for him.

Also, most cats aren't a threat to your fish, unless you don't have a lid. If you don't have a lid, you should get one because Betta fish are notorious jumpers (I know from experience) and can and will jump out of their tank for any varying reasons. My uncle had two cats along with a whole tank of fish and never had a problem.

Last edited by sainthogan; 07-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #10 
veebee829

I will try to get a larger tank if my boss lets me. Also, since I cannot get a heater for the tank how can I keep it warm? Do I change out half of the water each day with a bit warmer water to make it the optimal temp or will that shock him?