Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #81 
BettaLover1313

I'm happy you could get Zephyr, and what an awesome name for him!

I love how your tank looks! I really wish I could do a planted tank, but I'd rather wait until I'm at a permanent residence before I get a planted tank going. I just don't feel that travel would be very easy with a planted tank.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #82 
LinkLover

Thank you. :) I honestly have no idea where it came from, I just thought of it and knew right away that was it.

Thanks again! I have to agree with you, moving planted tanks is a pain, so waiting is probably best. But be warned, they're addicting. You won't ever want to go back to fake plants once you go live!

Last edited by LinkLover; 08-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #83 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
Thank you. :) I honestly have no idea where it came from, I just thought of it and knew right away that was it.

Thanks again! I have to agree with you, moving planted tanks is a pain, so waiting is probably best. But be warned, they're addicting. You won't ever want to go back to fake plants once you go live!
I know I won't want to go back once I get started, since I love non-aquatic plants, I'm sure I'll love aquatic ones, especially if they help keep my fish healthy & happy.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #84 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Zephyr, the whispering wind. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #85 
LinkLover

Yes I'm sure you will. :) My husband always wanted a garden, but he wasn't able to do that because he'd always forget to water the plants. Now he doesn't have to! Haha. Aquatic plants are a perfect fit for him, and he loves it.

Yes! :D When I was thinking of names I thought of Zephos, the God of Winds in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (big Zelda fan here...). But I (unlike many on this forum it seems) am not a big fan of the god/goddess type names. Right away Zephyr came to mind, and I knew it was the perfect fit. :)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #86 
LinkLover

Medication update: I'm actually feeling a lot better, and more like myself. Although it still doesn't quite feel like the real me, since I'm way more used to the depressed version. It's getting a little easier to deal with my daughter, and she has actually been better lately too, minus a few weird screaming fits at night. My pets are also no longer stressing me out which is great, and I'm really happy with my three little Betta dudes, although the blue veiltail is still unnamed.

Not everything is going so well, however. I typed up quite a bit about it, but honestly I'm a little scared to actually post it. I'm fairly fragile emotionally (as I'm sure everyone knows by now), so all it would take is one mean or thoughtless comment to completely derail me. I do feel comfortable sharing things here for the most part, but we have all seen how things can go when people post about controversial subjects. I don't know, I saved all of it, so maybe I'll post it eventually...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #87 
LinkLover

It's tattoo time! :D I decided I want to share my tattoos on here, cause I love them. I have four at the moment, but I have plenty more ideas for when I can afford it. Here is my first tattoo:

Name:  cherrytat.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  31.8 KB

Yup, cherries. I know they seem really stereotypical and boring, but I actually got them for a reason. I love cherry print everything, and have since high school. I have cherry print bags, shoes, dresses, a jacket, hair clips, clothes for my daughter, etc. So needless to say, I like cherry stuff. ;) By the way, my hair does not look anything like that anymore, that was almost three years ago.

My second tattoo:

Name:  animallibhumanlib.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  35.9 KB

It's an Animal Liberation/Human Liberation logo. I was vegetarian at the time I got it, and that was part of why I did. I have arrows in between the phrases, making it cyclical, because I believe they both affect the other. I think that if people can treat other people better, and be more kind, then in turn we'll extend more of that kindness to animals, and visa versa. The way we treat animals can be an indicator of how we treat people, at least that's what I think. It's also a representation of how all living things equally deserve to be free.

I'll post the other two once I can find some pictures. :)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #88 
LinkLover

Warning: Incoming rant.

Here we go...

Let me start by saying I love my brother. He helps me out so much, and I probably wouldn't be alive without him. However he should never be allowed to own an animal. He has a baby Red Eared Slider in a spare rabbit cage filled with two inches of water. I explained to him the proper care/how big they get/etc., and told him to take the turtle back to the pet store. He agreed. A week later I go to his house and what do I see? He added a small filter to the "tank". Obviously no intention of taking him back. I was furious, but there is nothing I can do short of taking the turtle, and I just can't do that. Another thing he did. He had a Betta in a half gallon container who had SEVERE SBD. Like for months. So, I took him and spent weeks getting him better. I asked my brother if he wanted him back, and he said I could keep him. So I did. The next time I go over there (a week-ish later) HE HAD ANOTHER BETTA IN A VASE. I just about exploded. So, me and my husband gave him a five gallon tank, a heater, silk plants, a thermometer, and a gravel vacuum. A couple weeks later, he had TAKEN OUT THE HEATER and put it in the the turtle "tank". I was almost in tears out of frustration. No matter what I do, or say, he continues to treat his pets like crap. The Betta's fins are practically melting off, and is obviously stressed, but I know if I offer to take him he'll either say no or he'll just replace him. I can't take it anymore. Then there's the rabbits. He has two rabbits outside in hutches, and while I know they can live outside, Washington (If you don't know, look up the weather) is not the best place for that except in summer. And guess what? He only takes their cages inside if it's snowing heavily. I'm not a rabbit expert, but I can't imagine that's good for them. When they get occasional time outside their cages, it's in a pen, outside, mostly unsupervised. Here, there are TONS of wild animals that would happily take a rabbit. He even told me he saw a hawk on their fence. Seriously?!?!? Then there is the poor dog... She is twelve years old now, and is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. They rarely pet or pay any attention to her. They kennel her quite a bit, and often forget she's in there. And this is just all their current pets. There are plenty of others who have been unfortunate enough to end up in their care. I know I'm not responsible for his animals, but seeing them suffer and obviously not get what they need just makes me want to cry and scream at the same time. UGHHH. I don't understand why it's so freaking hard to give animals proper care. Especially when I GIVE HIM EVERYTHING HE NEEDS. I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by LinkLover; 08-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #89 
BettaLover1313

That sounds like one of my uncles, who has had two Golden Retrievers now (no clue how this one has lived as long as it has). He doesn't treat them right, only cares for them when they're really sick, and doesn't keep up on their grooming. Yet he does love them (in his own weird way) since he was really torn up when his first Golden passed (she had heart problems :/). I don't understand it either why people get animals when they don't seemingly understand how to care for them properly, even when told/shown/given equipment, on how to do just that.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #90 
LinkLover

I'm sorry to hear about those dogs, they definitely deserve more than that. :/ I really wish people had to be certified or at least pass a test in order to purchase a pet. That way, you have to prove you know what you're doing first. That would save so many animals a lot of suffering. Unfortunately, that will probably never happen, since animal rights isn't something that's important to most people in my opinion.