Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 
AlgarveblueVT

Question what best betta breed for breeding?

I am new to the whole betta scene, and am just wanting to know for future what is the best breed of betta for breeding?

regards
AlgarveblueVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

The splendens complex don't have breeds, there are tail types to choose from.

IMO it doesn't really matter. HMPK or PK *might* have an easier time as they have shorter fins; as apposed to the HMs who have to drag those fins everywhere. It all depends on the individual fish, no two are the same.

If you're new to betta-keeping then I suggest to learn more about breeding. There is a lot to learn, and it's costly. To space, money, and time. Plus, there will be around 100+ fish to rehome and take care of until they are a few weeks old.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #3 
AlgarveblueVT

thanks for that info.

at the mo I have a female red PK (i think) and a male Blue VT.

which tails or colours would you recommend???
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

What do YOU want? You should start off on what tail type you want to breed, and then look for the colors. I wouldn't recommend VTs, as anyone can get a $3 one from the store. They're massively bred, people want the more "exotic" tail types such as the HMPK, HM, or CT.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 
AlgarveblueVT

breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
What do YOU want? You should start off on what tail type you want to breed, and then look for the colors. I wouldn't recommend VTs, as anyone can get a $3 one from the store. They're massively bred, people want the more "exotic" tail types such as the HMPK, HM, or CT.

Understood- thats a good start- unfortunately here in portugal in the Algarve I know of only one store that sells fancy ones. so it a bit limited.

I believe i have seen halfmoons and dragons. would you suggest these, also what females would I have to breed them with?
many thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Ah, yes. Outside the states, it's pretty hard to find them. Have you heard of Aquabid? It's an online fish shop, literally.

Yes, if you want to breed those types then choose them. Are the dragons HMs? As for the females, you'll want to choose the color you want the fry. Marbles, cambodians, solids? The best female for the male you choose is what balances him, if he has shorter ventral fins then you want a female with long ones, etc. Now is the time to think about form. An even back slope, even coloring, you'll want the fry to have an 180* caudal. (:
Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I suggest you do a little study on what is desired in your area. Some areas actually prefer VT to other types. Then learn on their specifics - how to maintain their fins. Once you have that covered, then breed them. It should be easier for you to sell what you produce.

In areas where showing has become popular, modern types (HMPK, HM, CT) are desired. Short fins are easier to keep - more adaptive. CT need more specific water to maintain their beauty. You need to consider all aspects and decide what to work with (colors and fin).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #8 
AlgarveblueVT

breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I suggest you do a little study on what is desired in your area. Some areas actually prefer VT to other types. Then learn on their specifics - how to maintain their fins. Once you have that covered, then breed them. It should be easier for you to sell what you produce.

In areas where showing has become popular, modern types (HMPK, HM, CT) are desired. Short fins are easier to keep - more adaptive. CT need more specific water to maintain their beauty. You need to consider all aspects and decide what to work with (colors and fin).
hi thanks for that.
But my aim is not to breed to sell.
I simply would like to breed a pair for pleasure.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #9 
AlgarveblueVT

I guess the questions I would like to ask are:
when breeding do you introduce the male to 4+ females and let nature take its course?
What is the best time of year for breeding?
what the best temp for breeding?
regards