Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #1 
PetMania
Member
 
PetMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Understanding rescues

This is for everyone who wants to know what a rescue is all about.

Now there are 2 sides on rescuing. Some people believe that rescuing a betta will just put, like, 3 more to suffer in their spot. Others believe that it is about saving that one life. Both want the cruelty to stop. What they don't realize is, is that it won't stop, unless millions of people petition against stores selling them.
Anyways, I am with the side of saving that one life. Just because more will come, doesn't mean that that betta has to suffer. That's why people rescue puppies. Pet stores mainly get their dogs from puppy mills where they are mistreated, just like they do with bettas. Yet, people give them a chance.
You can make a difference where you are, and by difference I mean changing a life. I'm sure that betta will have a warm heart wherever he goes, knowing he was cared about, and given a second chance.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 
Rjlupin
Member
 
Rjlupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Actually... I'm thinking about putting in an application to PetSmart soon. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, and you all might hate me for it. I care, though. I really care about the pets there. Maybe I can help one more owner make a good decision about a Betta. They're so popular and for the wrong reasons. I might get fired if the manager hears me recommending a heater (customer: "Oh, that's too much for one fish!") but at least it's not a Betta going to a half-baked home.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 
PetMania
Member
 
PetMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlupin View Post
Actually... I'm thinking about putting in an application to PetSmart soon. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, and you all might hate me for it. I care, though. I really care about the pets there. Maybe I can help one more owner make a good decision about a Betta. They're so popular and for the wrong reasons. I might get fired if the manager hears me recommending a heater (customer: "Oh, that's too much for one fish!") but at least it's not a Betta going to a half-baked home.
See? That's making a difference. Good for you. People who work at the fish department can keep the water in good conditions, and actually pay attention to the fish.
I wouldn't hate you for putting in an application.
Why would they fire you if you are helping them make money? The person would be spending more money. If they fire you, they may not have someone to convince people to buy everything. They would then lose money. That's what happened to a chain pet store in my area....and Wal-Mart.
Now that's rescuing bettas

Last edited by PetMania; 07-23-2013 at 11:05 PM.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom
Member
 
NeptunesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Iowa
You wouldn't get fired for recommending a heater. I always recommend a heater, and my manger saw me once flat out refuse to sell two Betta fish to someone wanting to put them into a .5 g tank. If you are a good employee and prove yourself knowledgeable, managers will trust that your judgement about situations is accurate.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #5 
Rjlupin
Member
 
Rjlupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Ok it's decided. As soon as my computer stops acting insane, I will apply.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
PetMania
Member
 
PetMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
awesome
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #7 
RedCassette
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Not to steal Rjlupin's thunder, but I had the same idea in mind. The bettas at my local Petsmart are arguably in better condition than most, but I have seen my fair share of sick and dead ones left out on the shelf.

Also, the employees are awful about them, besides the one nice cashier girl who keeps a few herself. I once was browsing the betta shelf, and an older man came over with one of the employees. She was helping him get one and telling him all the things he would "need" (tiny bowl, occasional feedings, no mention of a heater and I forget if she mentioned water conditioner). She then proceeded to say very casually that he could basically ignore it and it would be fine--and that they "like dirty water."

I just stared, and did my best not to seem too impolite. The employee looked at me and smiled. I know most of you will say I should have said something, but I was honestly too intimidated. I have really bad social anxiety and I was too uncomfortable to stand up to the employee girl. But I've helped some customers there before, as a customer myself, and I think if I were the one giving the advice about betta care things could be different.
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 
PetMania
Member
 
PetMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCassette View Post
Not to steal Rjlupin's thunder, but I had the same idea in mind. The bettas at my local Petsmart are arguably in better condition than most, but I have seen my fair share of sick and dead ones left out on the shelf.

Also, the employees are awful about them, besides the one nice cashier girl who keeps a few herself. I once was browsing the betta shelf, and an older man came over with one of the employees. She was helping him get one and telling him all the things he would "need" (tiny bowl, occasional feedings, no mention of a heater and I forget if she mentioned water conditioner). She then proceeded to say very casually that he could basically ignore it and it would be fine--and that they "like dirty water."

I just stared, and did my best not to seem too impolite. The employee looked at me and smiled. I know most of you will say I should have said something, but I was honestly too intimidated. I have really bad social anxiety and I was too uncomfortable to stand up to the employee girl. But I've helped some customers there before, as a customer myself, and I think if I were the one giving the advice about betta care things could be different.
It's so sad how people can intentionally give bad info. And trust me, they know that it is wrong. They don't care about doing their job right. I wouldn't be able to get a job there because the managers in my area are strict about keeping bettas tortured. So I started a rescue instead. And while Rjlupin's heart is in the right place, it's hard. To work there, you have to be strong, determined, and un-breakable. Then, you will succeed.
I hope that one day, people will understand that these beautiful fish can feel pain, have emotions, and that they are intelligent.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 
Rjlupin
Member
 
Rjlupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
PetMania, they're stict about torturing Bettas? How cruel. The thing people like that don't understand is most people trying to buy a pet want to do it right. Usually they make mistakes out of innocent ignorance or misinformation. I've seen so many threads where someone might say "they told me I only needed x,y,z, but I found out later I needed a, b, and c! Help me take care of my pet properly!" Those stores would make more profit by having the customer actually buy what's required, which is usually more pricey but worth the beauty and happiness of their pet.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #10 
PetMania
Member
 
PetMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlupin View Post
PetMania, they're stict about torturing Bettas? How cruel. The thing people like that don't understand is most people trying to buy a pet want to do it right. Usually they make mistakes out of innocent ignorance or misinformation. I've seen so many threads where someone might say "they told me I only needed x,y,z, but I found out later I needed a, b, and c! Help me take care of my pet properly!" Those stores would make more profit by having the customer actually buy what's required, which is usually more pricey but worth the beauty and happiness of their pet.
Yeah. In my area, the employees go straight to the manager if you need help. Then they tell you that you can leave them for weeks without care, blah, blah, blah......
They would make more money telling people the correct info. You know what, we should write a letter to the chain stores in our areas and inform them. That's a way to ensure bettas going to proper homes.
But then there's still worrying about how they treat the bettas in the store.....
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding Your Bettas Fins Zenandra Betta Fish Care 10 01-09-2010 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.