Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #11 
LizbethDawn

I just looked up the laws here in CA concerning care for animals in pet stores last night.

597l. Pet shops.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person who operates a pet shop to fail to do all of the following:

(1) Maintain the facilities used for the keeping of pet animals in a sanitary condition.

(2) Provide proper heating and ventilation of the facilities used for the keeping of pet animals.

(3) Provide adequate nutrition for, and humane care and treatment of, all pet animals under his care and control.

(4) Take reasonable care to release for sale, trade or adoption only those pet animals which are free of diseases or injuries.

(5) Provide adequate space appropriate to the size, weight and species of pet animal.

(b) As used in this section:

(1) "Pet animals" means dogs, cats, monkeys, and other primates, rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, snakes, iguanas, turtles and any other species of animal sold or retained for the purpose of being kept as a household pet.

(2) "Pet shop" means every place or premises where pet animals are being kept for the purpose of either wholesale or retail sale. "Pet shop" does not include any place or premises where pet animals are occasionally sold.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

So at least in CA they are breaking the law we just have to get someone to care enough to enforce it. California is always screaming they are out of money well at least for a few months they could make a pretty penny off of mistreated bettas.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 
PetMania

Wow. So, like, all of the chain pet stores in my area are going against the law?
Thanks for posting that. Maybe I could use that in a letter to PetCo.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #13 
LizbethDawn

Yes they are but the problem is getting someone to care and setting a standard for care while they're in the store.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #14 
PetMania

Will they ever care? Who knows. But what I know is that on this forum, we all care. And that brings warmth to my heart knowing that this species is not completely mistreated.
The thing is, we're only a fraction. One piece of the pie. We need to help the other "slices" understand their mistakes.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #15 
scifisarah

I do hear a lot of people talking about "rescuing" bettas on here and it seems very confusing to me. Where some people see it as a rescue, I actually see it as fueling the industry. I won't buy from a fish store that leaves dead fish in their aquariums and doesn't care for them properly. What would really make a difference is if nobody bought bettas until the store bettered their living conditions. If people keep "rescuing" betta from the petstores, it will continue to be profitable for them and nothing will change.
scifisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #16 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisarah View Post
I do hear a lot of people talking about "rescuing" bettas on here and it seems very confusing to me. Where some people see it as a rescue, I actually see it as fueling the industry. I won't buy from a fish store that leaves dead fish in their aquariums and doesn't care for them properly. What would really make a difference is if nobody bought bettas until the store bettered their living conditions. If people keep "rescuing" betta from the petstores, it will continue to be profitable for them and nothing will change.
That's the thing. You have to realize that people won't sto buying because they don't see what we do. We have to go past the fact of "Fueling the industry". I will never leave a betta in need. Never again. I did once, but that was the last.
I don't think that millions of people will listen to us and stop buying them as party favors, presents for their 3-yr-olds, etc. Plus, the stores would just say they will take care of them, as they always have.
People think of them as just fish, objects, decorations. It's wrong. They won't listen, I've tried.
If we keep rescuing, ww will give more bettas a better home.
I'm glad that we can share our opinions. I appreciate them and respect your decision of thought.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #17 
Rjlupin

I'm appalled at my state laws. "Animal: any nonhuman vertebrate species except fish. (VA. CODE ANN. 3.1-796.66)"

So all the laws protecting "animals" from harm or abuse don't apply to fish? Why? Ugh.

Last edited by Rjlupin; 07-25-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Arduous phone writing
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #18 
PetMania

That's just sad. Another reason why it won't stop because it's not against the law. In your state, there's more reason to rescue, as it's probably worse.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #19 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlupin View Post
I'm appalled at my state laws. "Animal: any nonhuman vertebrate species except fish. (VA. CODE ANN. 3.1-796.66)"

So all the laws protecting "animals" from harm or abuse don't apply to fish? Why? Ugh.
Fish are animals, too. Fish are friends....NOT FOOD!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #20 
Rjlupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
Fish are animals, too. Fish are friends....NOT FOOD!
I mean, don't misunderstand me. I'm not a vegetarian by far. I love eating fish!

Bettas are not for eating, and they are certainly not meant to be kept in a tiny cup only to die a slow and painful death.

Am I going to be burned at the stake for eating seafood? I'm still new to this forum.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote