Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #1 
Campbell

Exclamation Taking on a 2nd betta?

Now I know alot of you have alot of fish, but I'm perfectly happy with one.

I got my first betta a few weeks ago, and have learned alot. Now my biology teacher bought a nice little blue female that she keeps in a red plastic cup. We were going to do an experiment, but now we don't have time due to snow days. So she needs a home, and won't have any trouble getting one with all the kids in that class. For some reason I feel kind of obligated to 'rescue' this fish because I'm afraid the other kids won't give her proper care. I don't mind getting another fish or two, but I'm worried that if I do it this once every time I see one sick betta at the petstore I will need to save it. Should I just bring her home?
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #2 
Elisew

Hi Campbell,

I personally think anyone who is the `type` to care about animals will feel how you feel, but to be honest....only you can answer that question.

I honestly feel great respect for people who rescue an animal or fish that needs it, I guess it`s knowing when it`s time to `draw the line`as to how many you can realistically rescue though.

Good on you if you do opt to take this Betta and give it a good home but if you opt not to then I`m sure you`ll have thought through your reasons and made the decision that`s right for you.

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #3 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisew View Post
Hi Campbell,

I personally think anyone who is the `type` to care about animals will feel how you feel

Yeah, I've always been that way. I would be happy to take this fish, but I really need to find a stopping point. I want to make sure I never have such a large amount of animals that I can't find time to properly care for each of them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take her though. I have the tank space, so what the heck?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #4 
Nataku

Nothing wrong with taking on a pet that needs help - so long as you can provide for it properly. The place to draw the 'line' is when you cannot provide for the animal, be it a dog, cat, bird, fish, etc any better than the place it was before that you felt it needed rescuing from. Remember you have to take care of yourself, and what you already have, before you try to add more critters to the household.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #5 
Elisew

lol I`m actually pleased that you`re thinking that way!!

To my mind, if an animal takes a lot of time to look after then it should be a case of serious thought. Your thought process with regards to the tank space is the same as mine. If I have the room or the time to give to an animal or fish then I find it hard to say no....the Springer Spaniel we rehomed last year ( we already had one) was mighty chuffed I didn`t say no anyway

Good on you for deciding to take her on, let us know how you get on with her?

Lise x
Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its a good thing to rescue a betta that needs a good home but the bad thing is that bettas ARE addictive and it is hard to turn one down.lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #7 
Campbell

Alright I brought her home today.
It was very interesting ridding a crowded school bus with her in a plastic cup with no lid. I defiantly wish I would have driven today. She's still in the cup, as I'm just finishing up her tank. She's really colorful for a female, and I'm wondering if it's actually just a beat up male.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Look for an ovipositor or egg spot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #9 
Campbell

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT MY FISH. IT'S JUST ONE FROM PHOTOBUCKET THAT SHE LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO.

This is basically exactly what she looks like. Bright, but short fins. I can't see any spot? I'm pretty sure it's a female now though.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #10 
Elisew

Well, whether male or female I`m sure you`ve done the right thing. An adventure bringing her home?....The fun begins!!

I look forward to seeing pics of her and well done you for caring enough to take her home! 8)