Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 
djembekah

The New Guy- Asher

So! I hadn't gotten a new, spectacular betta in awhile, and so I've been sticking to the TFK side of the forum. But Asher is very special to me, and I knew you guys would appreciate him.

Last week I lost FOUR bettas. My first fish I ever bought, Swish, was old and just kept getting sicker and sicker, and one day I got up and he was gone. Reuban, my second fish, was suffering dropsy and not even starting to heal. I had to euthanize him. My wild betta was extremely sensitive and I lost her with no signs. And my yellow female, Squirt, was injured in the sorority community tank, and was not recovering. I had to euthanize her as well.

I was pretty down about it all, as a few other upsetting things happened as well. Last week was SO not my week. But yesterday, I went to ship some plants, and since a local pet store had expressed interest in floating plants before, I decided to drop some off. And i had money from selling plants, so I thought I'd look at the bettas. I was not hopeful.

The regular fish lady wasn't even in to work that day. So, I looked around, and at first I didn't see any bettas at all. then I spotted a raggedy halfmoon boy, and one red female in cups. I wandered around to the tiny bowls, and fluval tanks they have on display with bettas occasionally. Another red girl, and another raggedy looking halfmoon red male, but he wasn't in a cup, and looked fairly happy with his situation.

I went back over to the raggedy white HM male in his cup. He was holding very still. I tapped the cup a little and he wiggled his fins a bit, but he was not active. I sighed, bummed that I didn't find a fish that day.

I walked up to the counter guy, asked about giving/selling my salvinia and asian water grass. He couldn't even give me a great answer on that since the fish lady wasn't in that day. He did take the plants and my name and number though. He also asked if I needed anything in the back. I sorta mentioned being interested in bettas but only seeing a couple raggedy males. He walked back with me, and started talking about how he thought the blues and reds were nicer. And i sorta was like "eh yeah i guess sometimes." He picked up the little raggedy halfmoon's cup. Suddenly the fish was wild! He eventually went to help another person with fish stuff, and I just sorta watched the little betta, who settled down again.

I kept looking at it, then walked around. I kept coming back to him after that. At first I was uncertain- the $11 price tag on halfmoons at that store was kind of steep for a 20 something with only a part time job. But finally I had to have him.

I took him home, and found things to put the tank together for him. The five gallon had been sanitized, and all it needed was to be put together with things I had already laying around. It took some time for the water to warm up, but while I was waiting I added clean water to his cup- he was so not happy with me.

But finally he was placed into his tank.

He perked right up! He's very investigative, and enjoying all the space he has now, compared to his old dirty cup. Today I was able to add a castle I sanitized too.

I'm pretty happy to have found him. He perked me up after a week of lameness, and reminded me why it's so much fun to have fish, especially getting one out of a lame situation and into a new home. I can't wait to see his tail grow in, and whether he marbles or not!

Thanks for reading :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Awh! He's so cute!
What size tank is he in? Looks huge!
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #3 
djembekah

just 5.5 gallons!! He's definitely not quite grown. I expect him to get at least a little bigger! Reuban and Roxas were both pretty small when i got them, and they grew, though not as large as Swish and definitely not as big as Zeddie.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

He's beautiful! And Fishy is right, the tank does look big compared to him. O.o Wonder what color he'll have once he feels better. ^.^
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

I agree LTB! Will he remain a ghostly white or turn marble? O.O One of the reasons why I like white bettas. They're just a mystery til they heal up!
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 
djembekah

Yes :) I'm so excited about him!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #7 
BettaLover1313

I'm glad you took him home with you! He's very handsome!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #8 
djembekah

Thank you :) i really do adore the little guy
Posted via Mobile Device