Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #1 
gobettaorgohome

What's growing on Salmon's tank?

Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I bought a new tank for Salmon (I believe it's around 2gallons). A couple of days ago, I started to notice the white stuff growing on his tank, and realized it was growing on the inside - please see 1st picture. When you look really closely, you can see it moving by the water current (from the filter). Is it bacterial/parasitic at all?

Something seems to be happening to his tail/fins - please see 2nd picture. It was my fault, I had previously kept him in a fishbowl, and although he was happy like that for about 2 months, I noticed he was eventually starting to get clamped fins, so I immediately got him a new tank. His new tank has LED lights at the top, and we usually leave it on, should I be turning it off most of the time? His heater is on the way.

Behaviour:
- Although his clamped fins are now better, he doesn't open up like before, he used to open his tail so round like the moon.
- No abnormal behaviour
- Haven't seen him bite his tail
- Eats like a pig, swims around alot, definitely not lethargic
- Likes to hide in his ornaments sometimes
- A few gray spots the size of his scale, but haven't gotten worse at all (over long period of time). I had previously thought it was ick, but it's a few gray patches the exact size of his scale, he had them before I even placed the ornaments in the tank with him.
- Not sure if he's starting to lose his color or if I'm thinking too much. His picture is pretty true to color

I would like to perform a 100% water change, but didn't know if I should try to disinfect the tank at all, or if it's anything harmful. Thank you!!
Attached Images

gobettaorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

A couple of things first, are the two caves the only things in his tank? If so you will want to get some real or silk plants, they LOVE to have things to hide & swim through. The temp fluctuation in the tank is pretty big so the fact you have a heater on the way is great. A stable warm temp of 78-80F will make him feel even better & typically improves their colors. His fins don't appear to be tail biting or fin rot but more like they're getting snagged on something; either one of the caves or the filter intake. The stuff on the tank walls, just wipe it off when you do a water change.

If you answer the below questions we can maybe help even better:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
gobettaorgohome

Thank you! I think you are right, that he was probably snagging his tail off of the caves, he would sometimes swim inside them and hang out there. He really liked them, but I took both out for a day already for his safety. He lives by himself and his tank is pretty bare now, but I have some live plants on the way, so I can't wait to get them.

I'm also trying to read more about Betta compatibility, I only have a 2 gallon tank but I'd like to maybe get a few shrimps, and with the plants I have, hopefully my tank will be more self sustaining. I've read sometimes Bettas eat the shrimps, but Salmon is pretty small, just a growing Betta. I have a couple of extra fish bowls just in case, if I can find some shrimps. :)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

For temporary caves you can use a coffee mug or a glass just make sure they're really clean. He'll love the plants. I don't have shrimp so I can't advise on those but even though he's calm now that could change with tank mates. Show us a pic when you get the plants & tank redecorated.

EDIT: you can also file down any rough edges if you want on your current caves.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #5 
gobettaorgohome

Smile

Sure, here's a picture of him in his tank. When I first put all the live grass in, he was so happy swimming around, he kept eating the grass too. Over the weekend, the plants have grown SO much! I think in a couple of weeks I'm going to have to throw some out because in 2 days, their roots have grown 4-5cm on the floating plants alone.

I bought him some dried worms too and he gobbles that up so fast, not sure what kind, just that it's for Betta fish.

Although his water is looking much more green than usual (I have 2 moss balls in there so I'm not sure if it's too much along with all the other plants), should I perform more frequent water changes?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #6 
gobettaorgohome

oops, forgot to attach a picture of his newly renovated tank :)
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Can you please fill out the form shellieca provided? He definitely looks like a tail biter to me...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #8 
gobettaorgohome

Hi MattsBettas, thanks for pointing this out to me, I had thought it was the caves in the previous pictures so I removed them. I hope he's not biting his tail

What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? not sure, bought a heater online but wrong size to I have to buy another one
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, but his tank is warmer now as its about 40C in Shanghai
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a bunch of live plants - moss balls, floating plants, and other water plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and dried worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day, 3 pellets each, or 2 pellets with a worm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% water chances
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nothing, I let tap water sit under the sun for 2-3 days

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, not sure how to test

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail has changed a bit, not a perfect full moon, MattsBettas diagnosed some sort of tail biting. Seems like he's growing some white spots around his head and body in the shape and size of a scale
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago, we thought it might have been the caves in previous pictures so I removed both of them
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatments yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's not as a big as some of the Bettas I have had in Canada, but I bought him in March

Thanks to everyone for your help!