Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #1 
ceejay

Just Got a betta Fish

i need help.. i want to know when do i feed them ..change their water. how to make dem happy how to find out how dey sickk .. my one betta fish seem to be lonely and his fins are not bllooming or opening pleasee helpp.. i wana know what to do everyday and make them hapyy please gimme instruction what do i have to do to make dem happy and far away from sickness..

please tell me wat do u do on dem everyday.. sorry for the bad english -_-
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #2 
LaniBaby

HI Ceejay,

Can you describe how you have the fish right now? What size tank is he in? Is it a male or a female? How often do you change the water? And how often do you feed him?

For feeding, you can choose to do once a day about 4 betta pellets, or twice a day, 2 at a time. If he's a young fish, twice a day, 4 pellets is good until he grows. You can opt not to feed one day a week to make sure he doesn't get sick.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #3 
ceejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniBaby View Post
HI Ceejay,

Can you describe how you have the fish right now? What size tank is he in? Is it a male or a female? How often do you change the water? And how often do you feed him?

For feeding, you can choose to do once a day about 4 betta pellets, or twice a day, 2 at a time. If he's a young fish, twice a day, 4 pellets is good until he grows. You can opt not to feed one day a week to make sure he doesn't get sick.

his in a small aquariumm like this i think its only 1 gallon or less..
http://www.petsunleashed.com.au/imag...5611340261.jpg

i feed him once in the morning and one at night i feed him that flakes that comes from the box.. i dont think thats any good ..
can u guys recomend me some food for him xD

and i thinks his already sick his color changed.. wat do i do with that

his a pretty fish i dont want him to die.. please help .

btw his name is boink
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #4 
Haeclark

well...it appears ad if the tank is meant for bettas, with the image and all, so I can only assume by the food that came with it, you mean a generic food, but still meant for bettas. I cant really recommend a different food, as I dont really know what you're giving him atm...but I can tell you, I noticed my betta only liked pellets the first day I got him, then would spit them out ever since. I switched him to primary betta flakes [promote color enhancement] and freeze-dried blood worms.

If you had noticed the second post / link at the top of this forum section, you would have found it's all about betta care ;D http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

but as it says....bettas diet should be based of more meat then vegetable such as most other fish...perhaps the current food has too much filler?

also, keep in mind, being bettas are naturally from a tropical area, it needs warm water, as it cannot adapt to cold water. Most small tanks like yours keep at room temp...but you should get an exterior sticky thermometer to temp you water, and make sure it stays between 76-80. Below that, and your betta fish will become too cold...and more issues.

Your tank is ok as a starter tank...but since you would need to change the water ever 2-3 days, I would recommend getting a larger tank. You can get tank kits that include everything, or get cheap glass ones, and a simple filter / heater. You dont need to go all over-board [at first ;D] but, they do need a heater and filter, or you will be doing more work then necessary...also more stressful for fish w/o heater / filter.
The more you have to mess with your tank, the more stressful for fish, another good perk for getting a larger tank. Rule of thum is 1 inch per 1 gallon per fish for maximum comfort and longevity of fish life.
Also with a larger tank, you can get "tank-mates" later on ;D

x2 a day dosent sound bad...but how much are you giving him? Too much food will = bloated betta, and health issues. pellets = 2-3 x 2 a day, flakes = a SMALL amount x 2, bloodworm = 2-3 worms x 2. If he still seems to be excessively hungry, its ok to give him a treat or two, but dont let him talk you into over feeding xD
theyre good con-artists!

You'll find allot of other helpful tips [and allot faster a "response"] if you also take a look around the site.

Last edited by Haeclark; 04-22-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #5 
ceejay

what worms do i feed them and what kind of pellets?
i think there tanks need a heater cuz its still cold here in canada
and im planning to get a bigger tank for him what size shud i get?
and what kind of heater and a filter.. ?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #6 
Haeclark

as I mentioned before...all these questions were already answered in the link provided in my comment, which is posted / pinned at top of this forum section [know you can read...check it out ;D ] You really should check out other links here and posts...you'll be amazed at what you'll find if you take another 5 min to read / look further!
it goes into more detail then what Im going to say...but I'll reiterate it:

-Worms: Favorite are blood worms. Available freezdried [like potato chips, or jerky] frozen, or live and moving!
-Pellets: Anything that says specifically betta is best, as they require meaty based foods. Some people suggest Bio-Gold [suppose to be really good] but mine never like it.
-Flakes: Alot of people will tell you bettas hate them. Mine dont. They actually prefer the flakes over the pellets. Mine are color enhancing...again, as long as stats meant for bettas. Tera flakes are not good, as do not support the diet bettas need: meat.
-tanks size: All depends on the available space you have. "Some people believe in 5 gallons as minimum. Yes, a fish can live in small tanks, but they thrive in proper conditions in roomy areas."
If space not an issue...try a 5.5 or 10 gal...your betta will LOVE you for it! I got a glass 10 gal tank from Walmart for under $10.
One thing to consider as well...if your betta should get sick, allot of betta / fish medications / treatments are pre-measured for 10 gal tanks [such as dissoluble fizz tablets]. One reason why I chose the 10 gal...but there are some ways you can get around it if want a smaller one.
-heater: There are many diff. brands and types: 2 prim types: submersible, and non-submersible. Submersible are the best. The box will indicate which size you should get, as they go by tank gallons. Mine heats anything from 10-20 gal tanks.
"These are tropical fish, and become very lethargic if kept in cold water. A light will not be sufficient enough for heat. In the night, temperature can easily drop 8+ degrees, which can kill as fish. Room temperature is not enough either. Hydor makes a wonderful heater for small tanks of 2.5 gallons and less. It resembles a heating pad and they work wonderfully while not being overly expensive."
-filter: Now one thing needs to be clarified: Bettas, unlike goldfish, do not require filters to keep healthy...but it DOSE help allot! Bettas need a light filter with low flow. They should have very little water movement in a tank. The filter will also help keep water clean. Size and type depends on tank size.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #7 
Haeclark

also, it looks as though the little tank you got already has one, but make sure your tank is always covered, as your betta can and will jump!
Some people have come home to find dead bettas when kept uncovered!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #8 
ceejay

woot thanks for the time guys .. ill post there pics xD so u can see him =)
Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #9 
LaniBaby

that would be great!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote