Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #11 
Chicklet

Nothing wrong with one gallon tanks,
Only the people who refuse to tend them properly.\
As with any tanks, Certain requirements need to be met if you want a healthy fish..

-------------
Dispite what people want to believe on here, I have even bred betta's in 1 gallon tanks with great success, Ya I know I really shouldn't a said anything about it, So don't ask, and I'll never tell
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #12 
Campbell

I have seen bettas THRIVE in one gallon tanks, with proper care of course.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

And so many people think that they CAN'T thrive in small containers. I even had someone from another forum say I was abusing my bettas because they were in gallon containers. But like it was just stated, they can thrive with proper care.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #14 
birthdaybetta

I have a question for those of you who have 1 gallon tanks: how often do you change the water? I’m planning on twice a week. I feel bad that the water looks so dark in the first photos I posted – in all fairness I took the photos at night, and didn’t turn the flash off, and I have a crappy cam. When I worked in veterinary hospitals I learned to first do no harm -- so I didn’t change his water for the first 4 days, because initially Bubbles was so skittish that I didn’t want to rock the boat.

He seems hungry so I’ve kept feeding him, but reduced the amount of pellets because someone commented that he appeared to be bloated. He also seems totally content now and his color looks better to me, so I felt free to change his water 2 days ago. I also moved the plant and column around then, which I’m not sure he likes, because now he’s really been pushing the rocks around all day long. So I might change the plant and column back around next time I change the water. Thank you all for the helpful information – it relieves me to hear that I’m not a bad mom for keeping him in a gallon tank for now, and that there is a right way to do so and keep him happy. : ]
birthdaybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #15 
Chicklet

I Change water at least every other day, Some even get it everyday, Depends on my mood, I may do a complete change,

But It's really only needed every other day, 50% water change with a complete change and gravel wash at least every other week,.

Every Betta I bring home, I don't care how bad he looks or how skittish he may seem, I give 100% new water, Pour him out thru a net and let the old crud go down the sink, with a much to do good riddence!
Your not doing him any favors by leaving him in that crappy, dirty old water that he has sat into for lord knows how long, Kinda a kin to breathing old stagnant foul smelling air to taking a breath of fresh clean air, What would you want ah? Think fresh water wins out,...

Betta's are little pigs, They LOVE their food, You have to be the one to decide when enough is enough,
Fast him at least one day a week....

For me to list each tank I have and state what is in each tanks would be a forever loosing task,
I am constantly moving and re-arranging fish around here, And my betta's all love it, As soon as they see me coming their all right there, Many literally jumps into the small cups! dOESN'T MATTER WHAT SIZE TANK EITHER. (opps caps on) Betta's actually love being messed with and the more you do it, the more you will see its true......

I'm Constantly bringing in new tanks, 2 new 10 gallons yesterday, a bunch got re-arranged again.
Tomorrow I'm going out to buy materials to build a wall unit to hold some of my tanks,,, So gee whiz, Don't be afraid of messing with your betta's

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have been trying Chicklet's methed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #17 
birthdaybetta

I'm going to try that, thanks Chicklet! I'm also going to try to find some brine/blood/tubifex worms and an eyedropper to experiment with this weekend.

I did notice the bad odor after the 4 days went by before changing it ( ), so I changed it fully then and rinsed the gravel. It's good to hear someone say that they like being handled, although after hearing that, plus hearing that some like to jump, I'm going to get some type of cover over the top ASAP! Thanks again, everyone!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #18 
veganchick

betta will do gine in one gallon tanks, but the more room they have, the more they can swim and stretch their fins
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #19 
birthdaybetta

Check out Bubbles' new bubble nest! He's been crazy active for the past two days, pushing stuff around and moving really rapidly sometimes... like he's trying to swim right out of his little bowl! I know, I plan to upgrade Bubbles' tank and accessories as soon as I'm able.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #20 
Campbell

Wow! That's great. It also means he's happy.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote