Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #11 

On the topic of getting him a bigger tank - if you can't afford a bigger tank (or if the fish store isn't near you) then swinging by someplace like wal-mart, k-mart, target, home depot etc to pick up a 'temp tank' will work. Just go to their storage section and pick up one of those plastic storage bins. You can get ones that hold a gallon and a half for less than two bucks, so it would certainly be a step up from that little thing you've got him in right now, and will work just fine until you get a proper 'fish tank.'[/quote]

For that tip,, YOU get a cookie!
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #12 
DasMaedchen

I got him a 2.5 gallon tank today that came with a filter and light. I bought a heater, but I'm not sure if I will be able to use it, I might have to take it back. I'm in NC though, and our weather is so warm from this time of year until October, I wonder if I could get by without one. I got a thermometer and right now it says that it's 70 something degrees, without the heater or light.

The new tank is all decorated and is waiting for him tomorrow night. I set it up this evening, will he be alright to go in tomorrow night, do I need to do anything special for him to adjust to the new tank?

My daughter looks for him every day and asks if she can see "Fwank" lol
DasMaedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #13 
DasMaedchen

OH- also, are there any kind of other fish I could put in there with him? I was thinking maybe an algae eater (not sure the correct name) or something else that would keep to itself and not bug him. I don't think I want any other fish in there with him necessarily, just something else to keep him company lol
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #14 
MarieBettaMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Be sure to add conditioner to all his water before you add it to his bowl,
Silly beginner question here, but what difference does this make?

Add conditioner to water, then add water to tank, then add fish.

or...

Add water to tank, add conditioner to water (that is in the tank), then add fish.

----

When I brought George home 2 days ago, I put tap water in his tank (letting it sit for a while & come to room temp) and then added conditioner to the water in the tank. I wanted to try to scoop George out of his pint sized plastic cup. Unfortunately I couldn't manage it and ended up pouring him into his new home along with that unnatural blue(!) colored water that he was living in at the pet store.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Add conditioner to water, then add water to tank, then add fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #16 
Chicklet

Quote:
I got a thermometer and right now it says that it's 70 something degrees, without the heater or light.
needs to be 78 - 82 for ideal Betta temps

Quote:
Unfortunately I couldn't manage it and ended up pouring him into his new home along with that unnatural blue(!) colored water that he was living in at the pet store.
Should have gently poured him out into a net, And discarded that old filthy, cruddy, grimy water he has been sitting into for lord knows how long,..
I would do a complete water change, Start him off from scratch , so to speak,..
You should Never use the water they came into,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #17 
DasMaedchen

he's in there now! right away he started swimming around a lot and flaring his face fins (technical term help? lol). he appears A LOT more active and actually ate some food today! :)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad to hear he's doing well.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #19 
trotfox5

Bigger tank=required at this point
The tags at my petsmart say that they'll live in a 1 quart tank. More like survive. For a decent life go for a 1 gallon and for your betta to thrive go at least 2.5. My friend learned this the hard way. He had a 1 quart tank. He got a fish named ozzy in march for his birthday. BY the end of the year with the same tank he had a fish called ozzy the sixth. You need a bigger tank for a happy fish
trotfox5 is offline   Reply With Quote